Real World A-4k Skyhawk

Started by Gekko_1, August 05, 2007, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gekko_1

Hi guys,

finally gotten back to this model, its been sitting gathering dust for over a year now. Sorry about the crap photos, I'll do some better ones in daylight tomorrow if I get time.

There's lots of 'little things' that need doing at the moment. The scheme is the number 8 scheme on sheet GG48-002 Royal New Zealand Air Force A-4G/K Skyhawks (1970 - 2001) Pt.2.

:cheers:

Richard.

Scooterman

My heart just skipped a beat!!!!
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:
I'm not the Scooterman for nothing!
MORE!

Brian da Basher

Wow that's one hot Scooter there Gekko! Great stuff!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

upnorth

Very nice stuff!

Am I the only one who thinks the RNZAF Scooters lost a lot when the tan was removed from their scheme?
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

nev

The patchy, weathered appearance you've got here is brilliantly done.  Very subtle and very lifelike  B)  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

wolfik

how in the hell did you the paint job???? how did you so "sharp" lines?
did you masked the areas or was it free hand???
wonderfull!!!!

Gekko_1

QuoteVery nice stuff!

Am I the only one who thinks the RNZAF Scooters lost a lot when the tan was removed from their scheme?
I must say that I have no preferences. I like all the schemes the Kiwi Skyhawks came in. The next one I do will be in the late Royal Australian Navy colours! :P  

Gekko_1

Quotehow in the hell did you the paint job???? how did you so "sharp" lines?
did you masked the areas or was it free hand???
wonderfull!!!!
The trick here is a good airbrush, that is well cleaned and maintained. Good reliable paint and an equally good reliable thinner for that paint. Me, I'm an Acrylic paint fan. Others, they sware by Enamels. Myself I can't airbrush Enamels to save my life, but I can airbrush nearly anything with Acrylics. The best Acrylics for me at this stage are Tamiya Acrylics thinned with Tamiya thinner.

When I started this model well over a year ago I was struggling with an Aztek airbrush. These are great airbrushes and I have managed to achieve some good results with them. BUT! They are very labour intensive to maintain, and unless you have a sponsored supply of spare parts you will forever be buying tips for it. Plus, being predominantly plastic the parts wear out quickly.

Most of the general airbrushing was done with a Badger 200 with the fine needle. The camouflage was done mainly with an Iwata Revolution BR. This is an awesome airbrush and comes highly recommended.

The trick to the fine feathered edge is highly thinned Tamiya Acrylic paint, thinned with Tamiya thinner. Sometimes the ratio is as high as 80% thinner to 20% paint! Spray this kind of mixture at very low pressure. As low as 10 PSI, average at about 15 PSI.

To airbrush like this takes time. Time to master and time to do. I only ever tackle an airbrush job like this when I'm in a relatively good mood and have a bit of spare time up my sleeve. Airbrushing can be a very frustrating thing to do, especially if things are not working properly. The main factors of a successful airbrushing experience are listed above.

Bottom line is, treat your airbrush like you would a rifle that you depend on for your life! Keep it well maintained, clean and treat it well.

Hope this helps.

ysi_maniac

top notch outstanding work :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

bluntie

Very nice Richard,any special tricks with the decals? :cheers:  
my hovercraft is full of eels

Gekko_1

QuoteVery nice Richard,any special tricks with the decals? :cheers:
No, nothing special. Shine Magic for the gloss base, Mr Mark Softer for the decal softener, once dry a little more Shine Magic over the decals, leave to dry, next day Pollyscale Matt varnish to finish off.

Some people say they have problems with Cartograf decals silvering? Didn't happen to me.

Richard.

Gekko_1

Here's a few more shots. Haven't done anything more to it, just cleaned off the black paint around the base of the black aerial on the dorsal spine.

Had to scratch-build a new slat rail as I broke it off and it promptly went to the carpet monster!

Richard.

nev

Wow, is that thing ever sharp....B)

And how did you get the fabric effect on the bang seat?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Gekko_1

QuoteWow, is that thing ever sharp....B)

And how did you get the fabric effect on the bang seat?
Dry brushing :P  

GTX

QuoteAm I the only one who thinks the RNZAF Scooters lost a lot when the tan was removed from their scheme?

I'm the opposite - I actually prefer their later schemes without the tan.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!