'nuclear Nellie' Xn.1 Flying Wing ...

Started by TsrJoe, August 08, 2007, 08:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TsrJoe

ref. a reprint of an old c.1950's comic book ...

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

... basic planform shaped and sanded from laminated styrene sheet, wingtip 'nuclear ramjets' cast from a turned brass master. The offset 'bumps' are fairings for a 'Smith's tele-camera' fitted to the aircraft in the story. Im unsure as to a colour as yet but thinking overall yellow with dark metal tip jets ...

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

RP1

There's only one thing better than a nuclear powered flying wing and that's a British nuclear powered flying wing!

RP1
"Just your standard-issue big gun."
- Batou, Ghost in the Shell

RP1 dot net
My Facebook

Brian da Basher

That's really cool, Joe! I'm going to enjoy watching you put this marvel together!

Brian da Basher

ysi_maniac

QuoteThere's only one thing better than a nuclear powered flying wing and that's a British nuclear powered flying wing!

RP1
In such case: Antiflash white painted like V force
Will die without understanding this world.

Mossie

Thought it was Dan Dare at first glance! :wub:  Blimey Joe, I wish they had nowt for us to do in the summer period too!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Rafael

Joe you are my hero!!!

If only I had your vision!!

Great builds so far. (What, 4 in a row?)

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

TsrJoe

sprayed it up over the weekend, just to line off the control surfaces and other details, and apply some decals... cheers for the kind words... its nearly there...

hmm now 'Mossie's thought reminds me... now where did i store that old 'Anastasia' model i started years ago !?

:ph34r:  

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

QuoteThere's only one thing better than a nuclear powered flying wing and that's a British nuclear powered flying wing!

RP1
In such case: Antiflash white painted like V force
No, no, no.  Medium Sea Grey over Black  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

BlackOps

Joe, you've got a great talent for picking cool subjects and then convincingly scratchbuilding them...truly amazing!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

MartG

Lovely - but I can't help thinking it'd have problems if it lost one engine  :lol:  
Murphy's 1st Law - An object at rest will be in the wrong place
Murphy's 2nd Law - An object in motion will be going in the wrong direction
Murphy's 3rd Law - For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

HOG

All those tools and materials around, jealous as hell!
Nice work, and as for the Anastasia I`ll see if I can find mine but I think I sold it.
regardsd Gary [8-]
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

TsrJoe

hiya Gary...now that id love to see... B)

cheers, joe

HOG

Hiya Joe,
Sorry as I can`t find it, as I thought I probably sold it back in the days when I worked for Beatties. Back in `79 during the last century (god that seems weird typing that, and gives one a sense of great age and wisdom) a series of Dan Dare graphic books (no wifey not comixs) was releasesd which resparked my old interest in the tales of Dan & Digby let alone Sir Hubert, `Flamer` Spry , Prof Peabody et all.  I remember digging out the few old Eagles that I had and drawing up a rough to 1:48 deciding it was too big and scaleing down to 1:72. While talking in the shops staff room, another bod said he would like one and talking to the people at Dark They Were and Forbidden Planet :dalek:  down the road, it seemed to have a marketable potential. Anyway this is dragging on, so a male two part mould was made for vac-forming from Milliput and 6 shots were done. I definately built two, one for meself and one for the workcollegue. Thus I was in profit by four pints of tonsil varnish, if I remember correctly (that being the going rate for friends, and the most I could drink before rushing for the train :drink: ). The eventual sale of my copy was probably a low patch between paydays and prob`ly a low price (so much for wisdom) and as to the moulds etc so many moves so much time etc.
Any way If either the bod I worked with, (either John or Colin I think) or the bloke I sold it to reads this and either still has it or pix please post them  so that I can remember my first attempts at manufacturing.
Regards All
PS love the new smiley`s. I think I shall keep this as my new `logo` to go with my new member title and chair with wheels
Gary :dalek:  
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )