Fokker F-26 Phantom In 1/400 Scale

Started by frank2056, August 12, 2007, 01:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

I saw a picture of the Fokker F-26 post war jet airliner on Secret Projects and thought it was one of the most ungainly and goofiest plane designs I'd seen.

While going through my plastic junkyard, I found the drop tanks from an old Airfix P-61 and the engines from the Minicraft 1/320 scale B-52. That got me thinking about the F-26.

Some scaling and printing and it turns out that the drop tanks were almost the exact shape and dimensions of the F-26's body - in 1/400 scale. I cast a copy of the B-52 engines, and after much PSR, and adding a couple of small plastic tubes, I had a fair representation of the engines. Add some scratch built wings, and this is what I have so far.

F-26 and drawing:

Compared to drawing:

Beauty shots:

It looks a bit like a whale:

Engines:

Next is primer and fixing the obvious errors in the wings/alignment.

Frank

Rafael

Excellent build, I particularly like....everything!!! :thumbsup:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Brian da Basher

This is some absolutely superb scratchbuilding/kitbashing Frank! It's a real treat to see somebody build a model of this proposal. What kind of livery do you have planned for it? Swissair? Lufthansa?

I can't wait for your next update!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

frank2056

QuoteWhat kind of livery do you have planned for it? Swissair? Lufthansa?
I haven't thought that far... Something easy to do in 1/400, so maybe a Swissair with a  red tail and white cross, and white upper body over natural metal.

It really is a goofy looking plane!

Thanks for all the comments, guys!

Frank