Main Menu

Soviet 109

Started by McGreig, August 13, 2007, 05:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGreig

The idea was to produce a more appealing Soviet Me-109 than the rather boring ones they had in reality.

Easy Models are the ready-built and painted versions of Hobby Boss kits. They're quite well done but they still have fairly noticeable join lines round the canopy, at the wing roots and along the lower fuselage.

I'd wondered if it was possible to produce a reasonable model with the minimum of effort by filling, sanding and repainting the join lines and adding some detail painting without having to substantially repaint the whole thing.

The model chosen for the experiment was a winter camouflaged Me-109G-2 (if this should be Bf-109 or it isn't a G-2, please bite your tongues). This is the model as supplied, with fairly prominent join lines:

McGreig

As Commissar of the Soviet Aircraft SIG I decided that an aircraft captured and test flown by the Soviets would fit my collection better, (the Russians did capture and test Me-109s, but not this particular aircraft in these colours), so I also painted out the Luftwaffe markings. This is the model after filling, sanding and touch-up painting.

McGreig

And the finished model after outlining the control surfaces and adding decals and varnish:

McGreig

A view of the underside:

McGreig

Another view of the finished model. I'm fairly pleased with it and it looks more attractive than the rather drab Me-109s which carried red stars in real life. However, in terms of the time and effort involved, it turned out to require rather more than the minimum effort originally planned and it probably wouldn't have taken much longer to build the Hobby Boss kit out of the box!  :dum:  

Sisko

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

matrixone

I think it looks great! :wub:

Matrixone

philp

I was looking at a few of these in the LHS the other day with kind of the same idea.  Was thinking that would be a quick way to get something done for the Nats.  Ok, probably not a good idea but definitely capable to put some quick Whiffs together.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Brian da Basher

Wow that looks absolutely killer in VVS colors and markings! Your efforts were definately worth it!

Brian da Basher

Glenn Gilbertson

Looks good to me!
:cheers:  

lancer

QuoteAs Commissar of the Soviet Aircraft SIG
Greetings Comrade Commisar, Nice to see you here. I actually joined the soviet Aircraft SIG at last years Nats.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Erm..... not wanting to come-off all JMZ, but wouldn't the Soviets have overpainted the 2 Staffel markings as well. Admitedly it looks more colourful with the yellow 12 bar on it.....

Just a thought.

Not a crit.... definitely.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

McGreig

QuoteErm..... not wanting to come-off all JMZ, but wouldn't the Soviets have overpainted the 2 Staffel markings as well. Admitedly it looks more colourful with the yellow 12 bar on it.....

Sadly, yes. Although unit badges were often left untouched and the codes on some captured bombers are still visible, it seems to have been normal Soviet practice to paint out the Staffel markings as well as the national markings.

But, like you say, it's more colourful this way - - -  

McGreig

QuoteGreetings Comrade Commisar, Nice to see you here. I actually joined the soviet Aircraft SIG at last years Nats.
Look forward to seeing you at this year's Nats  :cheers:  (by which time the SIG Newsletter may just possibly have been reinstated - - - )