A Slovak Grasshopper In 1/72

Started by Brian da Basher, August 14, 2007, 03:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

In 1928 the Czechoslovak Army issued a requirement for a new artillery spotting and liason aircraft. Many designs were submitted but Design #14 by the Aero Company was judged the best and a prototype was ordered. The high-winged Aero AB 14 exceeded all expectations, exhibiting fine stability and short field landing characteristics and was immediately ordered into production.  Two full squadrons of Aero Kobylkas (Grasshoppers) were in service by the time of the Munich Crisis in 1938. Unfortunately, production had stalled due to a halushki shortage which left the Aero workers listless and unmotivated. When the Third Reich entered Czechoslovakia in early 1938, they were amazed at the wealth of first-rate military hardware they found and many Czechoslovak types were incorporated into German service, the Kobylka being no exception. It was used to good effect against partisans, being armed with two forward firing 7.9 m.m. machine guns and one 9 m.m. gun in the rear for defense. Some examples survived the war and can be found used for forestry duties and flying passengers at air shows all over eastern europe.

1st of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

Some of you may have wondered what became of the left over Aero Subaru fuselage and Fokker D.VII wings and tail from my Fokker Burro project. Well I discovered that they fit together quite nicely. I received the Aero Subaru kit from Zac a while back, but it was missing a few parts, namely the spats and the engine. Fortunately, I'm not one to let minor difficulties like that stand in my way so I continued on boldly...

2nd of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

I was able to solve the lack of an engine by digging a radiator grill for a Douglas World Cruiser from my spares box. I scratched the engine compartment from sheet plastic and the big horkin' exhaust pipes from left-over sprue. I also made that fairing for the prop shaft out of a drinking straw. Please forgive the dodgy prop as it became loose while I was taking pictures and I didn't notice it until it was too late. I decided to only use the D.VII's upper wing and save the lower wing for something else as I'm a very frugal modeller. Once again, I resorted to  using toothpics as struts since I couldn't find any plastic ones long enough.

3rd  of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

The cowling guns and rear gun were made from more bits out of my spares box as was the landing gear. Fo the louvers on the sides of the engine, I used the crimped top from a foil bag of chips. I went back and highlighted it with a pencil. The entire model was brush-painted by hand with acrylics. Polly Scale Italian Green and Model Masters Dark Earth were used on the uppers and Testor's Light Gull Gray was used on the undersides. The guns were painted with Tamiya Gunmetal and the tires with Mars Black artists' acrylics. The radiator grill was painted with Tamiya Gunmetal and I dry-brushed over it with Model Masters Steel. The exhausts were painted Tamiya Aluminum and I dry-brushed some Model Masters Rust on the ends to give them that worn appearance.

4th of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

After I had this project almost built, I stated to think about markings. I had a lot of options in my decal stash, but I wanted something that would hint at its German heritage. These W.W. II Slovak markings seemed ideal and I really like the way they look against the camo scheme. I did have to cut the carrier film very closely so the crosses would fit on the tail and between the struts under the wings.

5th of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

To compound my shame at butchering this wonderful little airplane model, here's a box shot showing what it should look like. Even though I completely mangled it, I had a lot of fun with this project.

Last of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

The Rat

For the next few hours I'm not letting anybody with a feather get near me, because they could knock me over with it.

Dang it and tarnation Brian! How do you do that?!  :wub:  :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

McGreig

QuoteDang it and tarnation Brian! How do you do that?!
Yeah! And how do you even come to think of bashing together aircraft from two such different eras? And get the end result to look so right??!!  :wub:  Another great model  :cheers:  

Eddie M.

I am absolutely astounded! You are a very gifted individual BdaB!! It's a pleasure to see your work once again. B) BRAVO ZULU!  :thumbsup:
  Eddie  :salute:  
Look behind you!

B777LR

Of course, it was most feared when the SS fitted spats to scare away all allied fighters... :P  

The Rat

QuoteOf course, it was most feared when the SS fitted spats to scare away all allied fighters... :P
Hey YEAH! I just noticed the lack thereof, wassup Brian, you run out of spat material? Need an emergency shipment?
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Brian da Basher

QuoteOf course, it was most feared when the SS fitted spats to scare away all allied fighters... :P
Hey YEAH! I just noticed the lack thereof, wassup Brian, you run out of spat material? Need an emergency shipment?
I always need spats! Actually I figured that for an artillery spotter, basic was the way to go. It's also a poke in the ribs for Zac who sent me this kit sans spats! That picture on the box...what a tease!
;)
Brian da Basher

Chap

That's fantastic Brian, great work! :thumbsup:

~Steve

Rafael

This is what that airplane in the box should look like!!! :thumbsup:

I love the way that offset prop looks. And the general configuration of the aircraft remids me of Jimmy Angel, the discoverer of the Angel Waterfall in Guayana, Venezuela.

Imagine that beautiful plane flying over this, the highest (1 kilometer) waterfall in the world:

Excellent!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

BlackOps

I'm trying to imagine it....wait....wait...there it is :)

Ooops, almost forgot, way cool build Brian!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.