Lockheed A-11, A-12, M-12, YF-12, & SR-71 Blackbirds

Started by Mossie, August 21, 2007, 02:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

Carbon as used on the Shuttle is not a structural material. It's basically a sponge: very light, with lots of air bubbles. Because it is light, the outside of the shield can heat up without transmitting a massive amount of thermal energy into the airframe. Its only use is as a heat shield.
Carbon composite (=carbon fibre plus a resin) is something completely different. It's strong, but useless as a heat shield.

The SR-71 tooling was destroyed at the end of the project because that's SOP. 'Tooling' consists of massive pieces of equipment. To store them, you'd need a space the size of an aircraft hangar. The tooling would also need to be conserved (it's metal, so prone to rust). The larger jigs may need to be installed on a precision-level floor or they'll bend and become unusable. You can't just shove the tooling into a warehouse.
Storing the tooling for 30 years would have cost millions. Recycling is a lot cheaper.  

elmayerle

Actually, from what I've read, the SR-71 tooling was supposedly ordered destroyed by McNamara, over the USAF's objections, because he didn't want to take a chance on the F-12B getting built with that tooling as a basis.  Again, this is hearsay and should not be taken as full and complete truth, but it does sound like the man.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

jcf

Mcamara was one of the original  'whiz kids'...
the term originally was applied to the ten former Army Air Force logistics and organization 'brains' that were brought in to turn Ford around in 1946. Mac and Co. had an enormous effect on how the US fought WWII.

elmayerle

QuoteMcamara was one of the original  'whiz kids'...
the term originally was applied to the ten former Army Air Force logistics and organization 'brains' that were brought in to turn Ford around in 1946. Mac and Co. had an enormous effect on how the US fought WWII.
It should be noted that these people were given priority early discharges to go in and turn Ford around as Henry Senior had hung on way too long, his son was dead, and the company was in considerable disarray.  David Halberstam's The Reckoning gives a fascinating compare and contrast viewing of Ford and Nissan, the #2 companies in their respective markets at the time, from the end of WW II to the late 1980s/early 1990s; it's an absolutely fascinating book on a number of levels.

Regarding McNamara, this book reports that, when he was tapped as SecDef, one Ford insider remarked that it was "a great day for Ford, a hell of a day for the country but a great day for Ford.".  He was not well-liked at all as president of the company.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

ysi_maniac

What if SR-71 became B-71? :huh:
Well, IMHO it is better suited for strategic bomber role than for interceptor.  :rolleyes:
Will die without understanding this world.

RLBH

Quote from: ysi_maniac on February 29, 2008, 06:38:12 AM
Well, IMHO it is better suited for strategic bomber role than for interceptor.  :rolleyes:

It was suggested, I think someone on here had drawings.

GTX

Quote from: RLBH on March 01, 2008, 08:43:26 AM
Quote from: ysi_maniac on February 29, 2008, 06:38:12 AM

It was suggested, I think someone on here had drawings.

Here you go - B-71 proposals using SRAMs and B-61s:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

AeroplaneDriver

There are various versions of the SR-71-ATC exchange out there, but if true, it most likely involves a descent below 60,000 since airspace above 60,000 is Class G uncontrolled airsapce so a clearance would not technically be required (it's not like they're gonna hit anyone).  Doesn't mean some smartass SR-71 driver didnt ask for 80,000 to see what the controller said, but that seems the most likely version of the story if it has a factual basis.

Most official documents put it around 85,000.  A guy I once worked for who had flown F-100s, 105s, and 111s once mentioned over a few beers that a former roommate of his flew the Blackbird and claimed they would occasionally go into the low-mid 90s but not much more.  A lot of anecdotal info on the Blackbird seems to come from nudge-nudge-wink-wink converations.  Given the nature of fast-jet pilots if the book says 85,000 and it will do 85,100 they are going to say something like "officially 85,000, but it will go a lot higher".

Of course, with a rocket in the back the F-13 version could zoom climb much higher for early ASAT missions.   ;D

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Jeffry Fontaine

Laurent "Angus" Beauvais has uploaded images showing WIP and the finished model of his Testors/Italeri 1/48 Italeri SR-71A Blackbird posted on ARC that may be useful to anyone that is attempting to build this model. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Cobra

Hey Guys, Can Anyone Tell Me if it Might Be Possible to Convert an SR-71 Model into a Missile Carrier???? just something that Struck me Before i Chose to Post!!!!!! thanks for Looking.

Maverick

Dan,

The YF-12 was an interceptor with a large radar in place of the chined nose of the Blackbird and armed with the AIM-47 that didn't achieve operational status and there was also suggestions of other armament questions including SRAMs officially considered or thought of.

Regards,

Mav

Jeffry Fontaine

Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

B777LR

The SR-71 could carry a D-21 drone:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1a/M21Ship2-cropped.jpg

It wouldn't be completely impossible to fit a large missile instead. Or simply arm the D-21 with a nuclear weapon, which i think it was in fact capable of.

GTX

I suppose one should also ask - what sort of role/missile were you thinking:

Interceptor/Fighter/Air-to-Air?
Strike/Air-to.Ground?
Other - e.g. ASAT/Satellite Launcher?

Here are some of Lockheed's B-71 proposals using SRAMs and B-61s:

Regardless of all that - this is whiff world where anything is possible!

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Here is the equivalent F-12 interceptor proposal:

Regards,

Greg