Started by Mossie, August 21, 2007, 02:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

and finally, a whiff example by AeroplaneDriver - his Lockheed F-13A Raven:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

Found some gorgeous CGI of the Convair Kingfish by Jozef Gatial.  It was the competitor to the A-12 so I thought it would fit in here rather than creating a new thread for a project bird.  More pics on this Korean site, with some English narrative:
http://kr.blog.yahoo.com/shinecommerce/17592.html?p=1&t=3

Quite a menacing looking beast in it's own right & so different from the SR-71, I don't know which I prefer! :ph34r:  Somebody mentioned a titanium Backfire earlier???  Maybe, but not built by the Soviets! ;D
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Madoc

Folks,

Some things to consider about the A-12 / SR-71 aircraft is the fact that lots about it is still highly classified and that there's been some very deliberate misinformation / deception put out about it over the years.  I can't remember if it was Ben Rich or one of the other Lockheed guys who worked on the program but that right there was a huge source of disinformation.  According to those tales, Titanium was nearly impossible to work with, was easily corroded and next to impossible to weld.  In reality, that's anything but the case.  However, since Rich was pretty effective in spreading that falsehood you gotta wonder what else in his book he was making up as well.

As to the A-12 going in to service, that would've been some kinda trick.  The Blackbird always operated right at the edge of technologies limits and it took herculean efforts to keep the machine up and running.  Every flight was essentially a record breaker and that's not something which bodes well for an operational machine.  Recon missions are one thing, having a interceptor force comprised of A-12's is something else and again.

Not that it couldn't be done but it'd be hugely expensive to do.  And thus you'd really have to question the utility of it.

Now, if some bright lads came up with technological advances that made operating at Mach 3 speeds as routine as Mach 1 speeds then that'd be different.  Back in the 60's though, the tech just wasn't there.

As to ICBMs, those things are wonderful but pretty dumb weapons.  They're ballistic and thus their path can be pretty accurately predicted and countered.  Hell, both the US and the Soviets fielded anti-ballistic missile systems back in the days of vacuum tubes and transistors.

Bombers, in particular manned bombers, can alter their flight path and can adapt to changing conditions far better and far more quickly than ballistic projectiles.  So, I think that if the US elected to field a force of A-12 birds as interceptors then that'd mean we'd have invested more heavily in manned penetrating bombers than otherwise.  Think B-70's coming into squadron service here and doing so in vast numbers.

The "TBOverse" explains this concept in some detail.

Anyway, as much as I like the A-12 and as many studies and proposals as Kelly Johnson came up with for new A-12 / SR-71 missions, I don't think the design had the operational efficiency to be worth the expense back then.

Madoc
Wherever you go, there you are!

Hobbes

Quote from: Madoc on May 12, 2009, 09:25:55 PM

According to those tales, Titanium was nearly impossible to work with, was easily corroded and next to impossible to weld. 

That's interesting. I've heard those claims about titanium in various places (including a discussion of Russian submarine construction, iirc the Alfa class which was reported to have numerous problems ude to their titanium hulls).

As to ICBMs, those things are wonderful but pretty dumb weapons.  They're ballistic and thus their path can be pretty accurately predicted and countered.  Hell, both the US and the Soviets fielded anti-ballistic missile systems back in the days of vacuum tubes and transistors.
To be fair, the old ABM systems relied on nuclear charges so the missile would only have to get in the general vicinity of the incoming ICBM. The effort going into TBM today shows that actually intercepting a ballistic missile is a bit more difficult.

Mossie

I would have thought that titanium would have been initially difficult to work because it had never been done before substantially before high-mach aircraft were being developed.  Titanium is now a well known metal, but that's because the work was done developing aircraft & other vehicles like the SR-71.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Hobbes

There are some real challenges in working with titanium: its high melting point makes welding more difficult, composite welds (to other materials) are difficult and its high tensile strength means that pressing is hard to do without damaging the material.   

GTX

Mind you, if you know what your doing welding Titanium isn't an insurmountable problem (my company does it daily on Aerospace products).

Getting back to the tread though, those Convair Kingfish CGIs look great - a real brutish, powerful look rather than the somewhat graceful SR-71.

regards,

Greg

Cobra

That was What Inspired my Q!!!!!!! Thinking about doing a 'Gerry Anderson' Style SR-71 with AAMs! how's that Sound??

ChrisF

looks crazy i like it !! Looking foward to the backstory too.... :)

seadude

I love the whole series of Blackbird planes. It's what got me into researching stealth aircraft and technology back in the 80's.
Anyway, I have a 1/72 Testor YF-12 at home that I'll probably build into an operational RB-12 or B-12 or whatever designation there was?
For more info. on the YF-12, try reading "Lockheed Skunk Works" by Steve Pace, Chapter 14. There's some good info. there on the actual missile firing tests that were done. ;)
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Mossie

Dunc, rather than twin side by side, how about an over & under configuration?  Kind of like the Short Sperrin, only a little bit quicker!

Mossie

I guess I had the early Avro 730 in mind when I suggested it.  SEAD based on that AF-12 proposal would be good, although I really like the idea of high speed growler.

KJ_Lesnick

What I'm wondering about the AF-12 drawing is with the foldable finned AIM-47B's... why didn't they just stuff two more AIM-47B's in the middle (right behind the landing gear area) -- it looks like it would fit.  The YF-12A had a center missile bay behind the gear in roughly the area I described.

KJ Lesnick
That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange, that no matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep); should I be framed for a criminal offense or disappear, you know to blame.

Sauragnmon

The A designation leads me to think of an attack aircraft, I wonder what it might be like to have a Blackbird carrying a moderate payload of, say, SDB's at insane speed for high-speed deep-striking flights - they've done a whole number of flights over Russia and other locations, so it's not as if they don't have the flight range to do the hit against enemy industry or infrastructure or long range assets - Blackbird flies in, takes out a few enemy bomber runways, boogies on outta the playground, end of story.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

GTX

Quote from: Sauragnmon on July 21, 2009, 12:58:44 PM
The A designation leads me to think of an attack aircraft, I wonder what it might be like to have a Blackbird carrying a moderate payload of, say, SDB's at insane speed for high-speed deep-striking flights - they've done a whole number of flights over Russia and other locations, so it's not as if they don't have the flight range to do the hit against enemy industry or infrastructure or long range assets - Blackbird flies in, takes out a few enemy bomber runways, boogies on outta the playground, end of story.

Look up B-71

Regards,

Greg