Spanish Hurricane

Started by McGreig, August 26, 2007, 09:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGreig

This is the Hurricane that was lurking in the background of my P-40 Pulsejet pictures.

It's an old Airfix MkI/IIB which had been sitting around, half built, for a few years. I was inspired to dig it out by Maverick's recent profiles of Spanish Republican Hurricanes, with their potential for applying large amounts of red paint.

McGreig

The Airfix Hurricane has its faults - amongst other things, the canopy is too shallow, the fuselage slopes away to soon after the rear of the canopy and it's covered in large rivets - but it still looks pretty much like a Hurricane and it had the major advantage of being available and largely assembled.

McGreig

For simplicity, I decided to stick with the original engine, rather than Maverick's Dagger, and to base the colour scheme on Republican I-16s so that I could try some multi coloured mottling that I'd never done before. This is the sand base coat.

McGreig

And this was the first attempt at the green and brown mottle - it looked too "Italian Desert" and needed to be darkened and thickened.

McGreig

This is the final version after Humbrol Olive Drab was added and then more of the basic green.

McGreig

And this is where it's got to at the moment. It still needs the canopy frames painted, the undercarriage and decals added and a final coat of varnish. This shouldn't take long, but it may get postponed because of the One Week Group Build.

Brian da Basher

Oh my I'm in heaven, McG!! Excellent work!

Brian da Basher

BlackOps

Looks great so far!   :thumbsup:  
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Rafael

OMG!!! :bow:  :thumbsup:  :salute:  :wub:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

lancer

WOW McGreig, that is one seriously amazing looking Hurri you've done there.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Maverick

Egads, McG!!

Beautiful rendition and looks even better in 'real life' than a CGI.

:wub:  :party:  :cheers:  :bow:  

nev

Wowser!  That is superb!  :wub:  :wub:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

GTX

Wow - hurry up and finish!!!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

NARSES2

Looks like my Spanish FW 190 has an adversary  ;)

Looking really good

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hotte

Viva spain hurry  :thumbsup:

fine work !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hotte