Spanish Hurricane

Started by McGreig, August 26, 2007, 09:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGreig

Beautiful rendition and looks even better in 'real life' than a CGI.
Thanks, Mav. And thanks for the profiles, without which this would still be another dust-gathering, half-built kit.  :cheers:

And thanks to everone else for the positive feedback.  :thumbsup: I've never tried a camouflage scheme like this before and I'm quite pleased with the result. With luck it should be finished in the next week or so. And then I can make a start on the Republican MiG-3 and Pe-2 - - -  

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Ian the Kiwi Herder

I'm late to this one.... superb work McG, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

ysi_maniac

WOW ... absolutely beautiful
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

McGreig

The Spanish Hurricane now has the undercarriage and canopy framing added, but still needs varnish and decals. Pictures of the finished article soon, I hope.

In the meantime, I went back to the stash to dig out some more Hurricanes.

First up is a Soviet trainer conversion. This is based on the Airfix MkIIb kit (not the most accurate of Hurricane kits, but I've got a lot of them), and was begun a couple of years ago but got put to one side when I couldn't decide on a source for the windscreens. This problem was solved by the release of the Hobby Boss kit, which includes alternate one piece and two piece canopies.

McGreig

The only real whiff aspect to this is the colour scheme. While there is a well known photo of a two seat artillery spotting Hurricane with a rear gun for the observer, I've never seen any photos of the trainer conversions although I've come across a couple of profiles. The profiles suggest that the trainers were left in their original British colours and this is the most likely scenario. However, some lend-lease aircraft were repainted, including some two seat Spitfire conversions, and I thought that I'd apply a bit of artistic licence and finish my trainer in the Soviet two tone grey scheme.

McGreig

I'm quite pleased with the result but, if I was starting to build it now, I would put in some more cockpit detail, especially on the sidewalls, rather than just my normal seat straps and generic instrument panels.

McGreig

Next is the Omega Models resin kit of the proposed re-engined Soviet version. This would have been powered by the Ash-82 radial and would have got round the problem of essentially sound airframes being unuseable because their Merlin engines were not quite robust enough for Russian conditions.

McGreig

The Omega kit is well produced and quite straightforward for a resin and I enjoyed building it - I'd recommend it (apart from  its price, if you buy through Hannants). With luck it'll be finished in time for Telford.

McGreig

Finally, another Airfix kit, this time built as a IID, with a Pavla resin filter added. I haven't decided whether this will be real world (I have decals for a Soviet example) or a whiff (possibly Yugoslav, Chinese or Soviet but with a Shturmovik or Normandie Niemen inspired colour scheme)

Brian da Basher

Those are some very neat Hurricanes, McG! I'm particularly fond of the Omega one with the Russian engine. I've enver seen anything like that before. Very cool!

Brian da Basher

Maverick

Nice stuff McG,

I love the Russki Hurri conversions.  The schemes are really flawlessly done.  Their twin sticks certainly looked something quite different.  Have you seen their re-engined P-40s, also quite different in my opinion.

Regards,

Mav

Captain Canada

Awesome ! Great paintwork on that Spanish bird. Gotta pity the poor Rooskies freezing their nuts off flying that trainer...sure looks good, tho ! Love the radial engined bird. First I've seen or heard of that. Sure changes the look of the Hurri tho, eh ? And Hurricanes with big filters like that have always been my favourite....they just look so bloody tough !

Keep up the great work !

Toadman

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

McGreig

Thanks guys.

Mav - I agree with you about the Soviet Klimov engined P-40s. I have an LF Resin kit of the two seat version which I'll build after I get over what an idiot I was to buy it in the first place! (It's a nice enough kit but a complete extravagance  :dum:  - all you really need is a fuselage conversion, which could easily be done from scratch, not an entire kit and, to add insult to injury, the LF version is clearly based on the Hasegawa kit! :angry: )

Cap C - if you think the trainer's cold, you should see the artillery spotter. Not only open cockpits but also a large rectangular panel cut out (unglazed as far as I can see) from the fuselage underside immediately aft of the wing  :wacko: