Avro Nottingham Gr.ii

Started by kitnut617, September 06, 2007, 01:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffry Fontaine

What was the source of your floats for this project?  Looking pretty impressive so far.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

kitnut617

Originally I wanted to do a Lancaster floatplane and tried to source some floats.  What I found was the ones I got were too big for a Lancaster so I then developed my Nottingham idea.

These floats come from the Trumpeter 1/24 Spitfire. My plan was to build the Spit in it's normal guise but even though there's most of the parts to do this, the important parts aren't included in the kit.  The Spit kit is really nice and I wanted to build it as it is so I wrote to Trumpeter to see if I could buy some extra floats and was surprised when they said yes I could.  My other alternative was to make some resin ones.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Jeffry Fontaine

QuoteMy other alternative was to make some resin ones.
You might want to coordinate the float replication effort with Barry since he has done some of this same work on a slightly smaller scale.  But the price for the extra float parts from Trumpeter for such a low price is a darn good deal.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

kitnut617

As I was able to get another set of floats from Trumpeter, I don't think I need to make any out of resin Jeff.  I'm not going to build another big floatplane like this again, except maybe a C-130.  But that will need even bigger floats.

I've hit a snag with my build, I'm on my third attempt at my fuselage plug, I completely screwed up the second go and I'm having to rethink what I've got to do.
I've got to sort this out before I can go any further.

On the plus side, my decals should be arriving sometime this week.

kitnut617

Well the first attempt I planned on using the Lincoln rear fuselage plug which comes with the nose I'm using, but this entailed gobs of filler plus more weight at the back than what I want.  The second attempt, I was doing it somewhat like you describe but I F*%##d it up.  But this time I've had a little bit of time to think it out and I'm going to do it as it might have happened, as simple as possible.  The ideal place to extend the rear fuselage is right behind the bombay and keep the fuselage parallel top to bottom for about an inch and a half, then add the tapering rear fuselage instead of trying to do the plug in the tapered section.

kitnut617

Major progress this last weekend,  Wooksta' comment got me thinking in a totally different way.  I've cannibalized another Shackleton kit, I've used it to redo the rear fuselage on the model and used the inner wing parts to extend the models wings;

In all I've added 25mm to the fuselage and 14mm to each of the wings.  And the decals arrived yesterday, it will be a variation of this:

http://www.canmilair.com/products.asp?cat=57&pg=10

kitnut617

And a bit more progress this weekend.  I went to my brother' and he helped knock up my new engine nacelles, he's got a mini lathe and milling machine:

Captain Canada

Looking good Robert ! She's really coming along now, eh ?

I like the pics of the nose...looks like Goofy from Disney !

And your choice of markings are to be commended !

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

With all the technical problems sorted out the project is progressing very well now, I've got a wing finished and primed, just needs little nicks and scratches filling in:

I hope to have the other wing done in the next few days.

kitnut617

I did a trial fit-up of the props and exhaust plus testing out the paint scheme.  It looks just how I envisioned it but the paint isn't going to well though, it's taking too long to dry and is delaying things.

The exhausts are turned back into the nacelle to where the exhaust turbine (fancy turbocharger) is which would be slaved to the supercharger, then the exhaust exits at the rear of the nacelle.  The air intake just below the spinners are for the carb and cooling air to the exhaust which then exit through the louvered covers

nev

Like the extensions, give her the look of a Lincoln
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

kitnut617

QuoteLike the extensions, give her the look of a Lincoln
Thanks, it is supposed to be a transition between the Lincoln and Shackleton using elements of both.  One of the things that created quite a problem was the width of the Shack's fuselage and trying to get a Lancaster/Lincoln canopy to fit, I had to 'massage' the top half of the fuselage and also cut the canopy in half and add a strip in-between the two halves.  Carlos' wonderful work on his two-seater project was very instrumental on how to overcome my problem.

Brian da Basher

That's one killer project Robert! I really like your efforts on the engines and the red looks great. The contra-props are a very nice touch. This one's gonna look like a million bucks when you get it done!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

kitnut617

Thanks Brian,  

A question, does anyone know what shade of grey the anti-corrosion paint that was used on Canadian Maritime patrollers?

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Just inspirational... dont worry bout the paint and PLEASE dont rush it, you've done a remarkable job thus far.

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)