Avro Nottingham Gr.ii

Started by kitnut617, September 06, 2007, 01:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

Quote... you've done a remarkable job thus far...
Absolutely agreed

Wonderful :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

kitnut617

More progress this week, I got the fuselage glued together and blended in the nose section and the tail turret is back on after I changed how I was extending the rear fuselage.  I've sorted out the painting now too so that can progess as I continue.

Port wing has the nacelles blended in, just need to do the fronts to them and then on to the radiator duct. Only bummer this week was while playing around trying to fit the canopy, it fell apart. Back to the drawing board with this.

Cheers...
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Brian da Basher

Wow what a treat to see an update on this epic projet! I wish you success at dealing with the canopy. I can't wait to see this one completed!

Brian da Basher

kitnut617

Thanks Brian,  I'm trying to get it done before the dead line, but I'm not sure if I can do it in time, work has reared it's ugly head and is cutting into modeling time.

BadersBusCompany

lancer

This is coming along very nicely...
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

kitnut617

Thanks guys, I'm trying to get it done on time.

kitnut617

A bit more got done over the last few days, port wing is almost ready for some paint, played around with the colour scheme on the starboard wing, this follows some Lanc schemes which are shown in Patrick Martin's RCAF-Aircraft Finish & Markings 1947-1968;

top side-NMF with aluminum nacelles.

bottom side-anti corrosion grey with aluminum nacells;

ailerons are NMF but the anti-corrosion grey is a bit of guess work, I asked Bill Burns what it might be and he sent a number of colour photos of Lancs which look very light grey so I tried to match it up with whatever grey I had and found that Humbrol 196 sort of comes close.

kitnut617

Well, I've not been able to finish this in time, some difficulties arose and of course it's the festive season, been to a number of Xmas parties plus a sudden influx of work.

But I've managed to get it this far.  Starboard wing is almost finished, I needed to see if I could actually do the scheme I wanted to do so I concentrated on this wing first.  Metalic colours have always been my bugbear and this didn't change while trying to do this, I must have painted then sanded the wing about a dozen times until I got to where it is now, I'm still not totally happy with it, close inspection reveals lots of problems but I had to get on with the project.  Port wing was well on it's way when disaster struck, a large chunk of the radiator housing broke off, I'm not sure why this happen but I had decided to speed things up and use a putty that wasn't so fluid as Tamiya White putty (which also takes a while to dry, especially if you put it on thick.  I used Revell Plasto but the tube I have is just about finished and the putty came out a little hard but it was still spreadable.  It looks like the putty didn't bond with some of the plastic though, anyway I had to start again.
The tailplanes and fin & rudders are finished and I was going to glue them to the fuselage.  I had spent a bit of time on the fuselage sanding it down, primer, more sanding and I thought it looked quite good, but once I gave it a coat of polished aluminum.... oh m'god... scratches, gouges, file marks everywhere.  I've got a lot to do to this to make it half arse decent.

Anyway some pics of where I'm at, I'll keep plugging away at this as I want to finish it, it'll be the first model totally finish in well over a year if I do.

Cheers.....

kitnut617

Spent the weekend filling and sanding all the scratches and gouges I discovered when I painted the fuselage polished aluminum, plus on the port wing a whole bunch showed up with the first coat of silver applied.  I tried using Mr.Surfacer 500 for the first serious time and to say I'm suitable impressed would be an understatement, most being repair with one coat.  I have some Mr.Surfacer 1200 too but I don't think I will have to use it.

Port wing propellers have all been cleaned up and polished for painting too, so quite a productive weekend.

Brian da Basher

Wow that's impressive work! I'm just bowled over! Your Nottingham looks killer in those maple leaf roundels and SAR markings!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Captain Canada

QuoteYour Nottingham looks killer in those maple leaf roundels and SAR markings!
Come on, Brian.....a pile of sticks would look good in those markings !

But I do have to agree with how impressive that beast is beginning to look. She's huge !

Keep plugging away....once the haze of Christmas booze clears, you'll have a full two weeks to finish her off !

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitnut617

I've been concentrating on the fuselage this last few days, got some basic cockpit detail done but I didn't go berserk at it, you can't see too much through the canopy.

The little pegs I've glued temporarily to the fuselage side is because I pinch the fuselage in so it would blend with the Lincoln nose better and it cramped the front end of the cockpit a bit, the pegs are to hold the canopy in place while the glue dries because I had to squeeze it in to match the fuselage and I wasn't going to hold it for goodness knows how long before the glue did dry.

But what an exercise in utter frustration I've had today, I spent a good four hours trying to fit the bomb aimers window, the Flightpath clear parts are so thin there's no substance to them when holding them for cutting, and I had to be very careful as you only get one clear part per item.  Still I got it done in the end.

Robert

kitnut617

Update!!  wings are on, cockpit is done -----------  almost there  ;)  better photos tomorrow, just wanted to see how the new feature works (and it's just great, upload straight from my computer, no more photobucket  ;D )

kitnut617

OK as promised, better photos.  I'm going to download from photobucket though, the other pics are way too small.