Length: 52'
Max speed: 338mph
Ceiling: 31,600'
Range: 3,060 miles
Two 2,000hp R-2800-22
Two power turrets each with twin .50MG
Two fixed .50MG and 75mm cannon in nose
Two .50MG in each wing
Single torpedo or up to 36 100lb bombs in ventral weapons bay.

'Grumman Aircraft since 1929', Rene Francillon, Putnam/NIP

Cheers, Jon

Glenn

Very good......what was your first clue?

Glenn

Madoc

Glenn, Jon,

I'd never heard of the XTB2F-1 before Jon brought it up but the cockpit is a dead giveaway if you already knew the configuration of the Grumman bird.  Then the two turrets followed by that tail.  Am I on the right track Jon?

I'm very much looking forward to the finished product!

Madoc
Wherever you go, there you are!

jcf

Hi Glenn,
pretty much as Madoc stated, also a matter of serendipity as I was looking through the Grumman book just the other day.

I look forward to seeing the completed model.

Cheers, Jon

Madoc

Guys,

Interesting how similar this bird looks to the Stoof.  It's almost as if this is "A" model of the S2.

Madoc
Wherever you go, there you are!

Glenn

Well, today I found the engines on a 1/48th Grumman Tigercat. I'll have to fill up the undersides of the wheel wells, but the engine narcells are the same. It did say, in the book, that Grumman learned a lot from the TB2F1...and that info went to the Tigercat.
Next time I'll try something nobody has ever heard of..........and thet'll be hard!

Captain Canada

Interesting how similar this bird looks to the Stoof.
You got that right, Madoc ! Such a tough looking bird. Love the shape of the wing.

Great job, Glenn !

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Glenn

I know it's taken 120 days, this is photo 4 of the fuselage joined, full cockpit, turret bins added and the outside bogged and sanded. There is also a coat of resin over the surface, to give that (almost) plastic finish.
More development to follow.
Glenn

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Glenn on August 17, 2008, 12:53:30 AMHi guys, remember me? Well some time last jear, I started an article on building a Grumman XTB2F1 bomber for the USN. The thing is, that I'd like to continue from the time I finished last time but I don't know where it is......can anyone help?

Glenn,

I see you managed to find the original topic.  I just merged your new comment with the original to complete things for you. 

Quote from: Glenn on August 17, 2008, 01:15:29 AMI know it's taken 120 days, this is photo 4 of the fuselage joined, full cockpit, turret bins added and the outside bogged and sanded. There is also a coat of resin over the surface, to give that (almost) plastic finish.
More development to follow.

It has been a lot longer than 120 days.  Getting close to a year since your previous update :)

Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Glenn

The next step was to make the inner wings. With this, I made an upper and lower wing template long enough to be used for both left and right. This time made the template from balsa to shape and glassed. With, say the port upper, placed the wing into position marked the rounded piece to fit ober the fuselage, and the fold section and then made the lower section to fit. I detailed on the fold section as I didn't know at that stage whether I wanted to have the wing folding.
Also in the shot you can see the cockpit. The seats and instrument/dash board are resin, the rest Evergreen.
To hold the wing in place, I added brass tubing wing spars...just to strengthen it.
Glenn

Glenn

OK, the engine farings/undercart housing are from a Italeri 1/48th Tigercat, cut and lengthened. Not much left...the outer wings, radome, rudder and tailplanes.
see you tomorrow.
Glenn

Glenn

With the wings, I finally decided to mount them in flight position as there would have been too much stress on the outer wing joins. Outer wing, same as the inner wing, balsa template...making upper and under piece as one unit. Making the length longer than it should be, to make both sides and fold join. Strengthened inside the outer wing with more brass tubing and ribs to keep the brass in place....then passed the outer wing spar into the brass for the inner wing to lock it in place. Really had to make the wing in two halves, as the shoulder section is flat, and the outer wing is raised at the tip.
Starboard wing first.
Glenn

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Jeffry Fontaine

Anyone have a clue as to what Grumman would have named this beast if it had gone into production? 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

jcf

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on August 20, 2008, 10:00:22 AM
Anyone have a clue as to what Grumman would have named this beast if it had gone into production? 

How about Nemesis?

;D

Jon