V-22 Osprey

Started by lancer, August 27, 2004, 10:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iranian F-14A

One of the missions the US Army was looking into with the Osprey before they pulled out of the program was the electronic recon mission,currently preformed by the RC-12 Guardrail family.So that might be interesting to modify one up like that with all the lumps and bumps.

Also,the JGSDF Osprey,I have one in the 3 tone camo on my profile thread.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever-1984
Current projects:
BAe EAP
OH-58F Kiowa Warrior
S-70C Civilian Hawk
HAL Light Combat Helicopter
S-64 Skycrane Firefighter

rabid stoat

Have heard this about Aussie V-22s:

http://www.irandefence.net/showthread.php?t=20255

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-31477,00.html/

Would be a Chinook replacement, supposedly for SF insertion.

Joe C-P

I'm going to build mine in Mexican Navy markings as a patrol aircraft.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

LemonJello

Rattling around in my head, I have plans to make one in US Coast Guard white and orange as a SAR bird, possibly with a zodiac to launch off the ramp?

I like the looks of the Canadian SAR birds in yellow, that'd be cool, too.

Someday, I really like to take 2 1/48 Ospreys, and a C-123 Provider and make a 4 engined tilt rotor transport.  USMC or USAF markings?  I'm not sure...

I've got to paint my AV-22 Spectre-type gunship.  (It's only been, what, two years or so) I'm going with black up to just under the wings, then MARPAT across the topsides.  Just can't find the time to get to the bench lately.

The Corps is a department of the Navy? Yeah, the Men's department.

SinUnNombre

What if you put ducted turbofans like the A-10, S-3, etc. on the wingtips instead of the turboprops? You'd have to sleek it up a lot, but for whatefer reason, a tilt-jet just sounds sweet(and dangerous) to me. Ok, ok......I'll go back to my hole now...

Jon

Rafael

Something like this, by Kenny Mitchell......
OK, I'll go back to my hole, too

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Blacklion213

I got a AFSOC MV-22C in the works, Tan / Dark Grey camo armed with RCL's, 'Winders and if i can find a cheap on  30mm off a AH-64

--------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=141464

Rafael

QuoteSomeday, I really like to take 2 1/48 Ospreys, and a C-123 Provider and make a 4 engined tilt rotor transport.
I found this article by Mike Hirschberg on a Quad Tilt Rotor while doing some research on logistics things.  It has a couple of intersting images of the four rotor aircraft you are describing.
A marvelous, tempting concept. I also fell for it.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

LemonJello

QuoteI found this article by Mike Hirschberg on a Quad Tilt Rotor while doing some research on logistics things.
I had seen that article as well, that helped to inspire me, too.  I'm really enamored with the tiltrotor concept.

Rafael, you've done some amazing work with paper and resin.  Thanks for the link.  

Blacklion213

Was the V-22 ever painted in HMX-1 Green?.. how about one with a white top ala VV-22 Marine One

--------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=141464

LemonJello

I haven't seen any -22s flying around here in HMX markings, but you'd have to think that eventually they will be replacing some of the older -46s and -53s with the Osprey at some point.

simmie

QuoteSomething like this, by Kenny Mitchell......

I did like the picture Rafe, it kind of reminded me of this beast.

drawn in 1958 she is a 100 seat airliner with a All up Weight of 110,000lbs

the drawing is out of 'Stuck on The Drawing Board', all about unbuilt U.K civil pojects.  It is also in Putnams 'English Electric Aircraft'.
Reality is for people who can't handle Whif!!

Now with more WHATTHEF***!! than ever before!

Jeffry Fontaine

Since this topic is about the V-22 Osprey, it would help to get back on that subject again, so with that in mind I give you the following food for thought:

Flying Leathernecks Decals for the first combat deployment of the V-22 Osprey. (Thank you Dave Roof!)

Check the national insignia.  Notice something missing from it? No center bar in the stars and bars.

Quote from: Shasper on August 27, 2004, 01:38:55 PMWhat about decreasing the prop length by making them 5-6 bladed?
No need to decrease rotor blade diameter.  The perfect solution for creating a five blade rotor for the Osprey is to use the rotors from a pair of the Italeri 1/72nd scale RAH-66 Commanche kits on the 1/48th scale V-22 kit.  The five blade rotor is a perfect candidate for improving the appearance of the plain vanilla V-22 kit.  Of course this means that you will be sacrificing a pair of out of production RAH-66 Commanche kits for the rotor parts to upgrade your V-22.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

nev

Quote from: Iranian F-14A on September 26, 2007, 09:04:11 PM
Can't remember 100% but I think when I did read about Japan's interest,it was the Marine and Army.The Navy was interested in it as a rescue/minesweeping platform.This role has now went to the EH-101,so thats out,for now.The Army was looking at it as a replacement/compliment for their Chinooks.

Found a link over at Secret Projects to an article from the early 90s, the JMSDF wanted some for SAR (UV-22J?) and some more for ASW (SV-22?).  Mossie has done some profiles over in that forum.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Hobbes

(digging up a really old post re: jet-engined Osprey)

Quote from: JoeP on August 27, 2004, 12:00:04 PM
Problem: if one engine goes out you're dead. On the Osprey the engines are cross-linked, so one can drive the other's prop. Can't do that with a jet. If you're in level flight you might be able to hit full rudder, kill the other engine and crash-land, but if you're in hover it's over and down.  :( 

Using the technology from the F-35B, it should be possible to crosslink two turbofans. If you drive just the front stages (ie the 'fan' part of the turbofan) you'd get a fair amount of thrust...