V-22 Osprey

Started by lancer, August 27, 2004, 10:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitnut617 on December 05, 2008, 06:57:42 AM
See here so we don't hijack the thread  http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,20781.0/highlight,chadderton.html

I think we already did   -_- but I'll put further comments on props over there.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Jeffry Fontaine

Something that you all may wish to follow as further developments unfold is Andrew MacKay's V-22 Osprey WIP on ARC which appears to be a WHIF based on the camouflage scheme he has recently applied.  I do like the fact that he has included a freight pallet with three fuel drums to show the size of the rear ramp area on this model.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Joe C-P

Changed my mind again.   :rolleyes:

I picked up an SH-60, and am planning to take all the ASW parts to make a replacement for the S-3, one with the speed advantages of a fixed-wing combined with the hover ability of a helo. It would allow faster prosecution of contacts plus the ability to dip sonar and drop sonobuoys. Also greater range and time on station.
I truly think the USN made a mistake retiring the S-3s, and this is my proposal to replace it.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: JoeP on September 06, 2009, 04:43:23 PMChanged my mind again.   :rolleyes:

I picked up an SH-60, and am planning to take all the ASW parts to make a replacement for the S-3, one with the speed advantages of a fixed-wing combined with the hover ability of a helo. It would allow faster prosecution of contacts plus the ability to dip sonar and drop sonobuoys. Also greater range and time on station.
I truly think the USN made a mistake retiring the S-3s, and this is my proposal to replace it.

That option surely has to be better than the old AMT/ESCI SV-22 kit with the odd looking torpedo shapes attached along side the main landing gear. 
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

anthonyp

I dunno, the old SV-22/PV-22 looks ok if you ignore the odd torpedoes, and don't look for anything resembling Anti-sub gear on it...

I've got an SV-22 in the stash that was going to get a USN treatment, done up in the old white and grey scheme before low-vis came into heavy use.  Have it take Mr. Lasky out to the Reprisal for its "Final Countdown."   ;D
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

TsrJoe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

elmayerle

I'd call it a well-done kit bash, myself.  Some of the relative sizes look a bit suspicious to me.  Besides, the last I heard, NGC was staying with the basic Hawkeye fuselage, though they are applying modern structural and manufacturing methods to improve and strengthen the fuselage.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

jcf

I'd say that it is 'fan-art', I wonder how long AvWeek will leave it up?

B777LR

Quote from: elmayerle on October 08, 2009, 03:37:47 AM
I'd call it a well-done kit bash, myself.  Some of the relative sizes look a bit suspicious to me.  Besides, the last I heard, NGC was staying with the basic Hawkeye fuselage, though they are applying modern structural and manufacturing methods to improve and strengthen the fuselage.

At this years Paris air show the US Navy/Grumman displayed a C-2 Greyhound with new 8 blade propellers. Looked really cool

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: TsrJoe on October 08, 2009, 03:13:33 AMim not sure if this is an actual project or a reaslly well done kitbash ? ...

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/photos/photopage.jsp?plckPhotoID=4b32cd52-99f9-40ed-8a35-704da1954a9e&plckGalleryID=b1746a72-fce6-489c-9afe-50a1413a668b

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7931.0/topicseen.html

cheers, joe

(looks like they have proposed a fire fighter version as well based on the description in the last image)

(image source: Bruno Bec/aviationweek.com)

Interesting concept.  Wonder how the other parts would look together?  Using the Greyhound fuselage with the V-22 wing and rotors?

Shame that the images are so small.  Would have been nice to see the fine details of the wing and fuselage join and to determine how much putty was going to be needed for such a conversion.  I guess the smaller the better in this case.  1/144th scale would definitely hide many of the faults that would be glaring on a larger model.

Jeffry Fontaine

Another variation on the V-22 Osprey theme.  This time it is a combined special operations transport - gunship platform modeled by a SketchUp user by the name of AutomaticJack.  The full size image is available as a download to Google's SketchUp but you can view a smaller image on this page with a link to download: Boeing Vertol AV-22-LSOC Ghost

(image source: Google SketchUp-3D Warehouse/AutomaticJack)
Here is the description provided for the model:
QuoteThe Boeing Vertol AV-22 LSOC ( Longer version, Special Operation Command) GHOST is the natural evolution of the AC-130 Spectre field support gunship. It merge both the deployment capabilities of normal tiltrotors and the extreme firepower of gunships. Born from the same project of the Osprey, the Ghost shares with its little brother only the name. The folding wing and rotors system has been removed to save weight and increase the structural strenght, and the dorsal space has been fitted with a dorsal conformal fuel tank. The Ghost can still load a SOCOM team up to ten men, thanks to its longer fuselage. The armament is composed by a 20mm Phalanx cannon ( 3000rds), a 105 grooved barrel howitzer ( 50rds), two 14.5 three barreled turrets ( facing front and back, 1400 rds each), up to 4 AGM-65 Maverick missiles or 12 Hellfire missiles or 6 hydra rockets canisters or a mix of them and 2 AIM-9L Sidewinders. The crew is composed by 4: Pilot and gunner in the foward cockpit, tracker and artillery officer in the rear. Two General-Electric / Westinghouse ASG-44 engines provides 20000shp through the two six bladed contrarotating propellers.

Shasper

that'll bring some pain!
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Jeffry Fontaine

Rotors from the V-22 gunship added to a V-130 WHIF from the 3D Warehouse.  The original creation that was uploaded was still sporting the four blade propellers from the original 3D model.  It certainly looks better with the larger rotors added to it.  I also removed the horizontal control surfaces and added a second vertical control surface at an angle to the fuselage.  Reminds me of the original proposal for the V-22 which was depicted with a "V" tail in many of the early advertisements. 

Stargazer

You mean C-130, not "V-130"...  ;D

The V-44 designation was already circulated for a while for a tailless development of the V-22 with a very similar configuration as this.
VC-130 is impossible because that would indicate a staff transport Hercules...
CV-130 (a transport VTOL) is unlikely because the V- list does not yet extend beyond #23... What about CV-30? (to keep the C-130 feel...)

GTX

Quote from: Stargazer2006 on December 11, 2009, 08:16:50 AM
You mean C-130, not "V-130"...  ;D

The V-44 designation was already circulated for a while for a tailless development of the V-22 with a very similar configuration as this.
VC-130 is impossible because that would indicate a staff transport Hercules...
CV-130 (a transport VTOL) is unlikely because the V- list does not yet extend beyond #23... What about CV-30? (to keep the C-130 feel...)

Did you note the "to a V-130 WHIF" bit??

Re the designations (and you seem to portray yourself as a bit of a JDN), VC-130 is entirely possible these days - if for no other reason, the marketing aspect (for instance, if Lockheed Martin didn't want any association with the V-22 at all).  Likewise, ever since the mid '90s, the designation system has arguably gone out the window, so a CV-130 is also entirely possible regardless of the so-called V-list (ala F-35).  As for CV-30, same reasoning as V-44 might apply, no wish by Lockheed to be associated/confused with the KC-30.

But I'll go back to the point of this post and the website...it is a whiff!!!!  And to quote our once common war cry "its my fecking model"!!!

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!