F/a-14w Tomcat - The Ultimate Alley Cat

Started by Rafael, September 09, 2007, 09:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafael

This turned out surprisingly good after I royally screwed up the Variable Geometry mechanism inside my Cat.

Yesterday afternoon, I took out the Kitech F-14D from my stash and started to cut sprues and happyly glued everything in sight. After seeing all the mobile parts turned to plastic goo, I dismantled everything and wondered, "What if...the Tomcat came back to life as a fixed-geometry, forward-swept wing fighter and started anew.

Since it was supposed to be a diversion while the missus is away for the weekend, it had to be a quick build, and I dispensed with the cockpit, which suited me fine, cuz I hate cockpits!, so I resorted to the "black canopy" method.

As I said, this was inspired by mi Compadre  :lol: Shasper's pretty F-14 build in the 1 week GB. After watching that wonderful bird, I decided I had to make me one more or less in the same lines. Thanks for the inspiration, Shas!.

There I go with the backstory, I have no script so I will improvise:

In 2022, the F/A-35 Lightning II was a matured product, a successful airplane at what it was designed to do, but hopelessly handicapped when confronted with the long saga of Sukhoi Flankers and their descendants. The Allies kept searching for a magic design that would allow them to overcome their type's shortcomings, but the only aircraft capable of doing that with a great advantage was the F/A-22 Raptor, a land-based fighter.

Then, in 2024, a young Aeronautical Engineer, Bud Shasperton proposed the idea of resurrecting the F-14 Tomcat, with "a few modifications" to provide the fleet with a decent, carrier-borne scort fighter/interceptor.

What resulted from all these efforts was something completely different, yet similar in appearance. Enter the F/A-14W.

The -14W retained te same airframe, but had a new fixed, forward-swept wing, actively controlled by a FBL (Fly by light) system. This configuration gave the -14W an extraordinary agility in combat, and excelent handling in all flight regimes.

The wing was entirely based on the previous design, but lacked the Variable-Geometry actuation system, a heavy and bulky device. In its place, Shasperton designed a simple central wing box, with fuel tankage, and two pivots to allow the wing to be folded in the F-14's classic fashion for shipboard stowage.

The engines were derivatives of the F/A-22's but equipped with 3-D nozzles, and the same capability to supercruise.

Thanks to the removal of old technology equipment and systems, the -14W had a greater fuel capacity, and normally, "travelled light" with a regular fuel load, enough to carry every mission demanded from it. When full, and equipped with external tanks, the new Tomcat was capable of reaching impressive ranges. And with the aid of Air refuelling, could be airborne for an eternity.

The adoption of new computers and equipment, also improved the type's fighting capability. LPI (Low Probability of Intercept) radar, grid/GPS navigation, fiberoptics, and a new FCS (Fire Control System).

The adoption of the new wing allowed the installation of six new weapons pylons, which afforded the -14W an impressive weapons load capability, with up to 16 weapons stations plus the enhanced 20 millimeter Vulcan cannon.

With this new weapons carriage capacity, and increased range, it was tempting to use the -14W as an air-to-ground attack fighter. So the modifications to the airplane included that as well.

The -14W achieved tremendous success at the Battle of Australia, when the Sino-Furisian Forces attempted an invasion of the Nation-Continent. And is a very appreciated asset in the Allied fleets.

----------------------------------

I hope you like it.

Rafa

Climbing to altitude:

Sporting the Australian Campaing characteristic splintered camo

Showing off, note the IRST bulb in front of the canopy

Chicken game, at high mach

Passing by...
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Rafael

Top views, showing off the camo and weathered surfaces, for repeated excursions through the Mach and sustained combat operations

Warload: (Centerline rear-2 SurfBoard Hypersonic Missiles)
1/72 Scale Maniac
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

anthonyp

Heh...  I was just thinking of my own "Ultimate Tomcat" the other day, though I need another YF-23 to do that (think F-23 with swing wings of some sort).

Good job, Raf!  Sorta looks like a canard-less Berkut.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Shasper

Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Excalibur

lancer

WOW!!! Another STUNNING piece Rafa. I LOVE that cammo scheme, how did you do it??
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Rafael

Thank you, Gents!!!

Well, Compadre Shasper, your build really triggered a very fun day of modeling. Thanks!!!

And Anthony, an F-23 is an awesome plane. I can't imagine how coooool it would look in VG!!

Excalibur and Lancer, Thank you for your impressions.

I'm not an accomplished painter, so this build was something of a practice. The splinter is THE scheme I like the most, but I have never had the nerve to try it. Mainly because I only paint with brush.

This time, I took the leap of faith and painted the 'Cat's undersides with Terstors' light Ghost Grey and the Upper Surfaces in Dark Ghost Gray, both Enamel.

Then, with 3M tape in hand I started the first layer of masking. I Used a trick: Everything under the tape is Grey.

Then I applied the first layer of blue (Acrylic Vallejo Deep Sky Blue) to all the surface, skirting with the paint the taped areas.

Then, let dry, and taped again, everything under the tape is clear blue or grey, and then applied the last coat (Vallejo acryllic Medium Blue)

For weathering, I didn't want to apply a wash, so I took graphite and with a cotton piece, smeared the dust all around, but OH!, the finish is blackish, but shines under the light.

So I took Acryllic Dark grey and diluted it to form something like a wash and applied it generously, washing all the excess gaphite off and pouring more of the solution on top. And let dry in front of an electric fan.

Simple huh!  :huh:  :banghead:  :thumbsup:

Rafa
1/72 Scale Maniac

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Brian da Basher

Yowsa Rafa you've got a regular whiff factory going on! I just love the cool and unusual forward sweep of the wings on this delightful model. That innovatove camo scheme is a real feast for the eyes too. And, to top it off, you mention "Bud Shasperton" in your backstory! I give this beauty four of four stars!!!
:salute:
Brian da Basher

Maverick

Hola Rafa,

As always, an impressive sight and totally 'left of centre' in execution.  Brilliant!!  The warload is quite hefty which should give this new Turkey some real punch.  What pray tell are the 'Surfboards' made of, they look quite authentic!

Saludos,

Mav

:bow:  :thumbsup:  :salute:  

Rafael

Hola, Mav and Brian!!!

Thanks for the kind words!!

Mav, those SurfBoard Missiles are The handles of a wooden clothespin, sanded to shape and drilled to make intake and exhaust. The wings are two little pieces of plastic card.

I made them for my SnakeBat, see at the bottom of the image:

Beautiful, Eh?! :wub:

Rafa
1/72 Scale Maniac

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Eddie M.

WOW! B)  I really dig your idea and the paint work is very sharp! Great idea! :thumbsup:
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

AeroplaneDriver

:o   Stunner Rafa!!!

First Class Whiffery!   :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

dragon

One word (this is probably the only site where I can get away with it):

ARRRREEEECHIIIISSSSIIIIIMO!

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Siete estrellas
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

ysi_maniac

Absolutely: 5 stars, top notch, WOW, ...
Concept
Building
Paint job
aso ...
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

Sisko

Get this Cheese to sick bay!