Spitfire Mk-38

Started by Eddie M., September 09, 2007, 08:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie M.

Since I finished one project ( and Hogzilla is close to being done), I've got to start another and this is it. I've wanted to do a twin tail Spitfire for some time now, and I finally lined up three kits. Here's what I've got so far. :)
  Eddie

Look behind you!

GTX

Twin or Tri engine?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

B777LR

Brian da Basher

Right on, Eddie!!! This one rocks!!!!

Brian da Basher

Damian2

:huh:

Dude you're a machine! I love the idea!!
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Rafael

S T U N N I N G !!!![/size] :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Chap

Beautiful work Eddie! :thumbsup: A logical replacement for the Whirlwind and the unsupercharged P-38's. I can see the nose stuffed with 20mm cannons and Browning .303s and in BoB camouflage.

~Steve

nev

Cool  B)

Are you going to fair over the starboard fuselage as well?  Give the centre one a gun nose a la P-38?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

ysi_maniac

QuoteBeautiful work Eddie! :thumbsup: A logical replacement for the Whirlwind and the unsupercharged P-38's. I can see the nose stuffed with 20mm cannons and Browning .303s and in BoB camouflage.

~Steve
This would be a great idea :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  
Will die without understanding this world.

kitbasher

Very cool - I've got my own 'Twin Spit' on the go but it's more like a Whirlwind.  Pic to follow.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

McGreig

Wow!!!  :wub:  :wub:  Using a third Spitfire fuselage to build a Twin Spitfire is inspired.  :bow:  I like the idea of the P-38 look and fairing over the starboard fuselage but, on  the other hand, it might look more interesting with asymmetric cockpits - - -  

HOG

Hiya Ed,
Been looking at your pics again. Now I think I`ve mentioned at least once that I like my whiffs with a feel of realism and practicality.
When I built the 262+2x109 thing (yet another still to finish) I thought the view from the cockpit was compromised for a fighter by the twin booms and considerd moving the pit forward or raising the position where the wings attached to the booms, so as to lower these.
With your build you could put the centre section back into its original position of low wing attachement to solve this problem.
As to tails someone somewhere suggested putting the tailfin rudder behind the central fuselage. I can either see that as three fuselages or engines in nacelles perhaps two in a push-pull setup in each nacelle

Still its your build and you go the way you want. The voices don`t seem to have steered you wrong yet, I`m just playing devils advocate and poking the envelope.
Regards Gary :dalek:  
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Sisko

Man you really love to challange yourself!  :thumbsup:

All power to you.

I am just going to grab a beer but I will back just carry on   :P   :drink:  
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Eddie M.

QuoteTwin or Tri engine?

Regards,

Greg
Thank you all for your positive response to this project! B)

It's going to be a twin. I'm torn between trying to keep the Spitfire look and feel and going with the P-38 look. To keep the misery level down, I think it will stay a tail dragger. I'm working on an alternate nose, but am concerned it will negate the Spitfire look and will the look of the faired booms be enough to keep the Spitfire look. Why do I do this to myself? :dum:  :lol: Because I like it!  :cheers:
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

jcf

Maybe cut back the centre pod and fair into the wing ala the Miles M.22?

Cheers, Jon