Spitfire Mk-38

Started by Eddie M., September 09, 2007, 08:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie M.

QuoteGORGEOUS!![/size]

I agree that the gear looks a bit leggy at first glance, but it appears to be long enough to keep the props clear of the ground even when the aircraft is doing a bouncing taxi over rough ground and that's what matters.  I would suggest some strong extension struts to help hold the gear down.  If 'twere me, I'd use V-shaped struts, hinged side to side at the midpoint, to tie the gear to both sides of the wells.  The point of the "V" should attach to each strut as far down as possible without interfering with the movement of the strut.

HTH,
Evan
Am I to surmise that you like this version better? ^_^   Also, what would be a good example of the gear struts you suggested?
   Eddie
Yes, it would.  The taildragger version looks quite spiffy, but the way you've done this one looks even better.  I'm not sure I could identify, just off hand, a suitable example of those gear struts.  Would you like me to try and sketch something up?  It won't be great, but I can put something together, scan it, and send it to you.  Let me know if that'll help.
Yes, if you don't mind. I'm sure I can put something together after I see your idea. :)
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

Leigh

Tail dragger, tricycle looks very American.
Either way it's very tasty.
How about medium sea grey over azure blue? The high altitude scheme they used on the Mk VIIs.

Oh yeah wiv D-Day stripes.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Eddie M.

Well, this is how it's gonna pan out. Even after much consideration and imput from y'all, I'm gonna have to go with my original intent, which was a tricycle landing gear. As much as I tried, the tail dragger wasn't going to work with this design. I would have had to deconstuct to make it work in my eyes. The nose is too long for the tailwheel configuration. Sorry to disappoint those who voted for the taildragger, but I hope to make this an exceptional subject that blurs the lines of reality. :)
 Eddie  
Look behind you!

noxioux

The tricycle gear looks fine, although it would look better if it had a beefier suspension.

I can't wait to see the finished product! :cheers:  

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Eddie M.

Quote:wub:  :bow:  :wub:  :bow:
Thank you! B) Here are the wheel wells in place and another mock up photo with shortened landing gear legs to see if I'm going in the right direction as far as height goes.
  Eddie

Look behind you!

BlackOps

Eddie, once again it looks like you have put in quite a bit of work that is paying off in a great looking model. I'm itchin' to see this with the paint on it  :thumbsup:  
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Brian da Basher

Yowsa you've got a great eye Mr Miller! It looks so natural like that and I really like your mod to the nose! Awesome!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

McGreig

QuoteYowsa you've got a great eye Mr Miller! It looks so natural like that and I really like your mod to the nose! Awesome!
:thumbsup:
Couldn't put it better. This looks just right :thumbsup:  :cheers:  

Eddie M.

I need help from the Spitfire fans please. :) I've done some research and found out the the Merlin was liquid cooled, but where was the coollant tank and what were the under wing scoops for on the Mk.II? Just wondering so that I can make as plausible an aircraft as possible. ;)  :)

Here's the work I did on the nose to make it easier on the eyes. ^_^
 Eddie
Look behind you!

elmayerle

The large scoop under the MK.II wings is for the radiator, the small one is the oil cooler.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

jcf

QuoteI need help from the Spitfire fans please. :) I've done some research and found out the the Merlin was liquid cooled, but where was the coollant tank and what were the under wing scoops for on the Mk.II? C07005.jpg[/IMG]
At the front of the engine, the scoops are for the radiator and oil cooler.

Jon

elmayerle

QuoteI need help from the Spitfire fans please. :) I've done some research and found out the the Merlin was liquid cooled, but where was the coollant tank and what were the under wing scoops for on the Mk.II? C07005.jpg[/IMG]
At the front of the engine, the scoops are for the radiator and oil cooler.
Are you sure of that, Jon?  ISTR that there was one scoop on the nose of the Spitfire for the engine air intake and that the radiator and oil cooler were under the wing in an installtion that made partial, but not complete, use of the Meredith Effect.

jcf

Hi Evan,
the first part of my sentence was in reference to the location of the coolant tank.

Jon

elmayerle

Quotethe first part of my sentence was in reference to the location of the coolant tank.
Ah, my misunderstanding.  My apologies.