Spitfire Mk-38

Started by Eddie M., September 09, 2007, 08:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthulhu77

Hmmm, I kind of like the odd nose, but I suppose the round one would fit in better for the time frame, unless you could come up with a reason for the other shape.

jcf

Martin-Baker did have their funky pointy nosed 'Tank Buster' design.

Pic from the Unicraft site..
and if it doesn't link:
http://www.geocities.com/uni1ua/bigph/tbust.jpg

Jon

Brian da Basher

My vote's for a more rounded nose, although you could just keep it as-is and have it be a trimotor.

No matter what I like, I'm sure to be over-ruled by those famous "voices".

Thanks for keeping us updated on this waaaay cool project, Mr Miller!

Brian da Basher

HOG

Hiya Eddie,
Firstly may I say the camera really loves ya. You look way to young in that picture.
As to the nose, the tail end looks OK but hows about just fixing the spinner on the front and fairing the whole lot in to keep that Spitfire outline.

Gary :dalek:  
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Eddie M.

Well, if you're speaking of young Evan, he'll be 6 next month. I'll start him on snap tites shortly. :D

I'm going to use a rounded nose and run it pased you guys later. :)
  Eddie
Look behind you!

Captain Canada

Looking good so far, eddie ! Love the pics of the kids.....looks like the boy is doing his job as well, harassing his sister while she's trying to concentrate !

:lol:

I say a big fat 'nay' to that nose. Yuch. A Spit is such a sweet and sexy bird...to saddle her with a beak like that is just wrong !

:ar:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

HOG

I know I stuck this on "Feeblely Small Minds"  but its still relevant!
Hiya Eddie,

Its easy, leave the outer two engines as is with contra props, but add the turbine exhausts as per your P40 build. Cut the nose from the front of the centre fusel` and fit at the rear as a pusher but just use a single 4-5 bladed prop but add Griffen bulges or maybe a jet exhaust with intakes along the sides or maybe the wing leading edge. Fit eight .050`s into the wings, & give yourself 4 x 20mms in the front. Under the cockpit add windows for sideway`s looking cameras. Under the wings between fuselage and boom add `trees` for 60lb missiles, little johns, LGB smart bombs or whatever. At the tips of the wings add radar pods for night fighting ala the British Avenger with maybe a 2nd crew position radar operator in one of the booms. Add drop tanks, ecm pods, laser designators etc to taste and finish in 1950`s Suez crisis stripes etc. Easy as a Whif could be.

Or else, just go your own way and it will still look great!

Regards Gary

PS Where can we stick on a T tail for JHM?

:dalek:  
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Eddie M.

Thanks for the ideas Gary. It's always good to have those to look back on. Here's what I think I'm going to go with as far as nose is concerned. I just don't think I could slap a spimmer on ther and be satified. Besides, it kinds looks like radar, doesn't it? :huh: Plus the guns that were suggested I use.
  Eddie
Look behind you!

BlackOps

Eddie, I've learned not to get to attached to your projects early on because they are in a constant state of flux, I will say this though, you never dissappoint! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out :)
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

elmayerle

I like the idea of radar like that (kinda like the F-94B's radar) and if  you faired the guns in under it, even at night the flash would be hidden from the pilot.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Leigh

Yeah I'm liking the second nose much better still has that Spitfire profile, what about guns where the exhausts would have been?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Eddie M.

QuoteYeah I'm liking the second nose much better still has that Spitfire profile, what about guns where the exhausts would have been?
Here's what I'm envisioning right now, except I'll have the barrels extending into view. :)
  Eddie
Look behind you!

Brian da Basher

Inspiration once again provided courtesy of the U.S. Navy! Good thinking, sailor!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Eddie M.

Not a whole lot of motivation these days, but here's a little progress forward. This with the inner wings attached and one of the wheel wells that I made from a wheel well from the KC-135 and sheet styrene. :)
  Eddie

Look behind you!

Brian da Basher

It's really starting to take shape, Mr Miller. OI ;ole your detail work on those wheel wells.
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher