Spitfire Mk-38

Started by Eddie M., September 09, 2007, 08:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro_seventies

Sorry about that swift in and out Eddie - i was at work and had no time to stop and pass the time.  Great looking model so far, very striking - would make a great long range fighter with all that fuel in the booms and wing tanks.  You could always make it a night fighter, to help bring the Lancs and Halifax's home...?

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Eddie M.

QuoteSorry about that swift in and out Eddie - i was at work and had no time to stop and pass the time.  Great looking model so far, very striking - would make a great long range fighter with all that fuel in the booms and wing tanks.  You could always make it a night fighter, to help bring the Lancs and Halifax's home...?
I really appeciate the example of Leigh's idea for paint. That looks like the way to go. B)  I've got the wings on.... for the minute. They're not too much wider that than the untouched wing. I've got to sit and stare at it for a while and wait to see what the voices think. ;)
  Eddie

Look behind you!

lenny100

my inner voice says "YES GO FOR IT "
Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

cthulhu77

This is one of those truly great ideas that SHOULD have been real!!!!  Wonderful.

Arc3371

An truly inspired build!

Have you decided if it will be a day or nightfighter?

Sisko

Hey Eddie this the first chance I have had to really look at this thread and wow this is great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to see where this goes.
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Eddie M.

After a break in action due to seen and unseen circumstances, I've finally gotten a little more work done. In an attempt to balance the look out a bit, I've added a more vertical stab. It takes me longer to figure out how to deal with a situation than to create the fix. <_<  ;)  :)
  Eddie

Look behind you!

Brian da Basher

Nice work on those fins, Mr Miller! That small mod really brings this project into a nice proportion.
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Daryl J.

Ohhhhh!!!!!   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Daryl J., impressed!

gooberliberation

Interesting how a little extra here and there can really change how a tail looks. :thumbsup:  
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Eddie M.

QuoteAn truly inspired build!

Have you decided if it will be a day or nightfighter?
Thank you very much! No, I still haven't decided, but I did see a post war Misquito that I liked very much and it was done as a night fighter.

Still having a hard time envisioning this as a tail dragger because of the main gear placement. Here's a mock up of the potential look. Your thoughts are welcome. :)
I want to thank you all for your positive and kind words about this build. It is very uplifting. B)  
  Eddie
Look behind you!

Daryl J.

The taildragger configuration seems to flow well with the lines of the machine.   A nose gear may complicate the nose excessively.   But my bias is towards simple lines.    This has been a ton of fun to watch.

Daryl J.

elmayerle

I'll agree with Darryl J., the lines as a taildragger look better.  However, have you considered moving the main gear mount points aft and making it forward retracting?  You could get the same sit angle without quite as stalky a gear leg.  This would be advantagous in several ways.  The downside is that you'd have a shorter moment arm if the tail wheels bounced and tried to but a taxi-ing aircraft on its nose.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

cthulhu77

Looking great. I kind of agree with the nightfighter role, it would also explain the little bump on the nose, for the radar. Really a slick looking bird.

Brian da Basher

A night-fighting tail dragger! Excellent! I really like the "ready-for-a-fight" look it has in that pic.
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher