Spitfire Mk-38

Started by Eddie M., September 09, 2007, 08:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

van883

I look forward to seeing the end result.
Very good so far
Van

McGreig

Nightfighter yes,  :thumbsup: taildragger no  :ph34r:
But an entertaining and great looking build whatever you decide  :bow:  :cheers:  

Arc3371

Nightfighter, nooo! A cool Fareast unit please

retro_seventies

everybody has an opinion, eh Eddie?

i rather like the taildragger look of things....would make the finished plane that bit lighter too IRL.  Very much like the balance that the work on the tail has given - great to watch a work in progress like this, always.  cheers!  :cheers:

Mossie nightfighter like this:

or like this?

"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

kitbasher

Lovely model,.  I think a nosewheel would work better.  A nightfighter?  Definately, and I think the standard Medium Sea Grey/Dark Green scheme would be better than overall Night or even the MSG/DG and Night intruder scheme.  :D  :D  
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Eddie M.

Alright, I've gotten enough feedback from here and another place to stay with the tailsitter model, but I had to see what I was missing or could apply to another model in the future. This was what I originally envisioned for this project. The gear is a bit leggy, but all I wanted was a glimpse :)
  Eddie

Look behind you!

Rafael

S U P E R B ! ! ! :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

elmayerle

GORGEOUS!![/size]

I agree that the gear looks a bit leggy at first glance, but it appears to be long enough to keep the props clear of the ground even when the aircraft is doing a bouncing taxi over rough ground and that's what matters.  I would suggest some strong extension struts to help hold the gear down.  If 'twere me, I'd use V-shaped struts, hinged side to side at the midpoint, to tie the gear to both sides of the wells.  The point of the "V" should attach to each strut as far down as possible without interfering with the movement of the strut.

HTH,
Evan
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

kitbasher

FANTASTIC!
Seeing it has got me thinking more about colour schemes, and an RAF photo recce version (overall PRU Blue, like Spits and Mossies) would look ace.  And if the gear is leggy (and it DOES look so good with a tricycle undercarriage) then the recce cameras could perhaps be housed in a fairing underneath the central fuselage structure.
:D  :D  
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Eddie M.

So, has anyone changed their minds about the tricycle landing gear now that you've seen it? ;)
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

retro_seventies

Promise not to hit me if i say that i still like the taildragger better?  

She'll be stunning either way Eddie!  :wub:  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Eddie M.

QuoteGORGEOUS!![/size]

I agree that the gear looks a bit leggy at first glance, but it appears to be long enough to keep the props clear of the ground even when the aircraft is doing a bouncing taxi over rough ground and that's what matters.  I would suggest some strong extension struts to help hold the gear down.  If 'twere me, I'd use V-shaped struts, hinged side to side at the midpoint, to tie the gear to both sides of the wells.  The point of the "V" should attach to each strut as far down as possible without interfering with the movement of the strut.

HTH,
Evan
Am I to surmise that you like this version better? ^_^   Also, what would be a good example of the gear struts you suggested?
   Eddie  
Look behind you!

cthulhu77

Though I like the taildragger look, this one makes more sense for take offs and landings.

elmayerle

QuoteGORGEOUS!![/size]

I agree that the gear looks a bit leggy at first glance, but it appears to be long enough to keep the props clear of the ground even when the aircraft is doing a bouncing taxi over rough ground and that's what matters.  I would suggest some strong extension struts to help hold the gear down.  If 'twere me, I'd use V-shaped struts, hinged side to side at the midpoint, to tie the gear to both sides of the wells.  The point of the "V" should attach to each strut as far down as possible without interfering with the movement of the strut.

HTH,
Evan
Am I to surmise that you like this version better? ^_^   Also, what would be a good example of the gear struts you suggested?
   Eddie
Yes, it would.  The taildragger version looks quite spiffy, but the way you've done this one looks even better.  I'm not sure I could identify, just off hand, a suitable example of those gear struts.  Would you like me to try and sketch something up?  It won't be great, but I can put something together, scan it, and send it to you.  Let me know if that'll help.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Captain Canada

I say taildragger.......just seems to look right, with the Spits lines and all. Love the way it looks sitting on the bench in the pick before that one.....like it's flying and ready to fight !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?