Ab-38 Flying Fortress

Started by Orne M, September 15, 2007, 02:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orne M

Boeing re-engineers the Fortress to take advantage of more powerful 2,000 plus hp Allisons and transforms its fabled strategic bomber into a long-range gunship in the Pacific theater.  The fuselage was stretched out to carry more fuel and ammunition for its forward cannons, and various aerodynamic changes made to increase both speed and range, including a greater span wing.  Brought back into service twenty years later, it's equipped with auxilary jet-engines, Sidewinder missiles, advaniced attack radar, and a Vulcan gunpod mounted on a belly-pylon.

http://groups.msn.com/InfinityReach/infini...to&PhotoID=1113

http://groups.msn.com/InfinityReach/infini...to&PhotoID=1114

http://groups.msn.com/InfinityReach/infini...to&PhotoID=1115

This model was originally started as a show-model for my Rebellion Creations' Allison engine conversion set back in the early nineties, but I decided to really go all out and build up the Monogram kit as a gunship.   All the turrets were removed and covered over, the fuselage extended with a scatchbuilt section behind the cockpit, and the nose modified with a scratchbuilt radome and cannon-barrel muzzles.  The Vulcan gunpod and Sidewinnders were from a F-5F, the resin jet nacelles were from an unidentified kit picked up at a swapmeet, and the tiptanks from an F-89.  The original tailfin was given a makeover, and the tailplanes are the outer wingpanels from an F-14.   The wing was cut apart along the main 'spars', reshaped, and extended with sheet plastic additions.  The camoflage was spraybombed through paper-masks, detail/weathering was done with acrylics, dry pastels, and inkpens; decals from the spares box.  Pinup nose art of Bambi Woods/"Debbie Does Dallas" was handpainted with acrylics.

Dork the kit slayer

One hell of a concept :bow: ,nice build to.  :thumbsup: For my taste Im not keen on the "sidewinders",but if that floats your boat good on yer. :cheers:  :cheers:
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Brian da Basher

Yowsa that's got to be one of the coolest B-17 conversions evah!!!! That last pic is totally the "money shot"! Astounding, Orne! Welcome to What-If!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Rafael

Impressive, Orne, simply stunning!!! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

anthonyp

Very nice!  Gives me ideas for the SB-17 I've got sitting in the stash.

:cheers:  :cheers:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Matt_S

Nice work! :thumbsup:

Also liked this:

MiG-31/F-62

Matt B)

Eddie M.

I like this a lot. Not only is the concept very well designed, the paint work really looks good to me. Good show! B)  :thumbsup:
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

PanzerWulff

Looks like something you would see over south east asia during the "Nam" era WAY COOL!!! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

Maverick

Totally wicked Fortress, more Superfort than the real thing.  Neat models in the gallery too.

Regards,

Mav

cthulhu77

Sisko

Nice Intro  :wub: and welcome aboard! :party:  
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

elmayerle

Gorgeous work and quite an entrance.  Is this conversion now available and is there any chance of a companion B-39 conversion?  Too, any chance of seeing these conversions in 1/72?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Orne M

I'm not sure what is meant by a "B-39" conversion.   (Allison powered B-24?)  The set was based on the actual protoype B-17 version.  No plans for 1/72 version.

Matt, Phase III versions of MiG/F-62 underway - really went all-out on the Valkyrie II.  No longer a conversion, completely revised airframe.

elmayerle

B-39 = Allison W3420-powered B-29.  It's quite an elegant aircraft.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

lancer

Amazing build Orne! One request though - Is it possible to see some up close pics of the nose art please?
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die