O

Design A Landspeed Record Challenger Gb

Started by Overkiller, September 16, 2007, 01:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

All righty then.
We are still in 3rd but only 1 vote behind the Grey thingy.
Still 3 votes behind the Spitfire GB (which I would be ok with for the second option).

Tell all your friends to get their vote correct.  We only have til Aug 6th.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Jeffry Fontaine

Since this proposed group build deals with speed records and such, I was thinking that maybe we should combine this group build with the "Faster and Furiouser" group build since both are on a similar subject. 

Would that be acceptable?
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

jcf

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on July 30, 2008, 03:24:49 PM
Since this proposed group build deals with speed records and such, I was thinking that maybe we should combine this group build with the "Faster and Furiouser" group build since both are on a similar subject. 

Would that be acceptable?

Two very different notions Jeff, the purpose of th LSR build is Landspeed vehicles and in the context of the build that means they have wheels and, hopefully, stay on the ground.

IMHO The Faster and Furiouser build was conceived for aircraft, the fastest tank discussion was a side-bar.

Maybe turn Faster and Furiouser into an all forms of transport build, but personally I'd prefer that the LSR build stay separate
and limited to LSR.

Jon

philp

I would also like to see the LSR GB stay with the Land part a requirement.

Now with that in mind, a tank gimmicked up for speed would still qualify in my book.

And, my original idea on this was based on the F-104 based LSR in the RW.  So, aircraft, suitably modified for speed on the ground, is probably where most of us will start.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on July 30, 2008, 03:24:49 PMSince this proposed group build deals with speed records and such, I was thinking that maybe we should combine this group build with the "Faster and Furiouser" group build since both are on a similar subject.  Would that be acceptable?

Quote from: philp on July 30, 2008, 03:45:34 PMI would also like to see the LSR GB stay with the Land part a requirement.
Now with that in mind, a tank gimmicked up for speed would still qualify in my book.  And, my original idea on this was based on the F-104 based LSR in the RW.  So, aircraft, suitably modified for speed on the ground, is probably where most of us will start.

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 30, 2008, 03:36:45 PMTwo very different notions Jeff, the purpose of th LSR build is Landspeed vehicles and in the context of the build that means they have wheels and, hopefully, stay on the ground.  IMHO The Faster and Furiouser build was conceived for aircraft, the fastest tank discussion was a side-bar.  Maybe turn Faster and Furiouser into an all forms of transport build, but personally I'd prefer that the LSR build stay separate and limited to LSR.
Fair enough.  I thought it was possible to combine them for the sake of expanding the group build to encompass all forms of transportation that way some members that despise wheeled vehicles would be able to participate with their own interpretation of a speed record breaker vehicle.  The other idea was to try and consolidate similar group builds to shorten up the list of group build proposals that we now have waiting for nomination to an official function. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Hobbes

We've mainly discussed the absolute land speed record, but Philp's comment about tanks reminded me that there are class records as well. Some inspiration:

philp

Love the fuel tank cars.

Now pretty much everybody has got to have an extra fuel tank in their parts box and 3-4 extra wheels...
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

jcf

I am fully in agreement that the LSR build should be open to all classes of terrestrial wheeled vehicles.
The inclusion of track-layers would be fun, however, I think track-running vehicles (trains, mag lev etc) should be excluded.

Seeing as a team in Britain is working to set a new steam car speed record, steam powered/punked vehicles would be fun.
I posted about the steam LSR car a while back:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,20641.0.html

Jon

philp

We're running out of time.
LSR is now 4 votes behind both first and second.
Time to PM all your buddies (especially anyone who voted for Grey Pride whatever) and get them to vote or change their vote or we will be out of the running again.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

philp

Mere hours to go and still 3 votes behind.

Sorry to say this but if don't get the "official" nod, I am going "unofficial".  Got a Regional coming up mid Sept. and want to try and put this on the tables.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Brian da Basher

Quote from: ysi_maniac on September 29, 2008, 08:28:13 AM
Would a hovering vehicle be acceptable ?

I can't see why not. Unfortunately, this GB proposal hasn't made the cut yet. Hopefully it will still be on the next poll.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

jcf

Hi Carlos and Brian,
personally speaking, and philp may agree, I'd say no as the original intent of this build was for wheeled land vehicles.

Hovercraft or hovering vehicles are not specifically land vehicles, all dreams/fantasies of making them the 'family car of tomorrow' aside.

Hovering vehicles are a category unto themselves and are more flying machine than ground vehicle.

Jon

Brian da Basher

You may well be correct, Jon and it's possible I spoke out of turn, so I edited my post accordingly. I checked for the proposed rules and found none. If this one ever gets off the ground, check with the GB moderator for clarification.

Thanks for the nudge, Jon.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

philp

I agree with Jon that the original intent was for wheeled/tracked vehicles.  The Faster and Furiouser GB would probably fit the Hovercraft idea better.

That said, I am seriously thinking of doing this as an "unofficial" GB as I am tired of waiting for it to get voted in. I already missed my deadline for the Regional and our next local is April but who knows if this will get the vote before then.

Anyway, anyone up for a little unofficialness?  Or do we want to give this one more chance with all the brethren?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies