Jet Boosted Yak-3

Started by McGreig, September 22, 2007, 05:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGreig

Just when I'd decided to concentrate on finishing my almost-complete models and finalising my project for the Nationals, I came across this 1943 project to fit a VRDK jet booster to a Yak-9.

McGreig

I didn't have a Yak-9 to hand, but I did have a few Hobby Boss Yak-3s and so, despite my resolution not to start anything new - - -

The booster was made by cutting down a Matchbox Me-262 nacelle. This shows the Yak-3, the booster pod and the original Me-262 nacelle for comparison.

McGreig

The main parts mated together. As a conversion, this couldn't be simpler.

McGreig

The Yak-3 VRDK ready for painting, with the undercarriage test fitted. In the original project the rear of the VRDK nacelle appears to be hinged to retract slightly into the fuselage for ground clearance. This seems unnecessarily complicated and on my model I decided simply to extend the tail wheel, as on the torpedo carrying Fw-190s.

McGreig

A view of the underside. With luck, painting and decaling should be done next week.

Rafael

Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Brian da Basher

Woah, very cool, McG! I'd be tempted to leave off the prop and put a few more guns in the nose. This one's gonna turn a few heads, that's for sure!

Brian da Basher

Archibald

Very nice! I suppose that, the jet being a booster, it was started in flight only , thus avoiding to burn the tailwheel  ;)  

Nice build btw  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

upnorth

QuoteVery nice! I suppose that, the jet being a booster, it was started in flight only , thus avoiding to burn the tailwheel  ;)  

Nice build btw
That's why the Yak-15 had a stainless steel tailwheel.

Guess that was an object lesson in how not to marry a jet to a tail dragger landing gear set up! :lol:

My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

McGreig

QuoteI'd be tempted to leave off the prop and put a few more guns in the nose.
I was tempted to produce a pure jet along the lines of the Focke Wulf P-II project but, as this will be going on the Soviet Aircraft SIG stand at Telford, I decided to stick as closely as possible to the "real" project.

Of course, as SIG Commissar and V.I. Lenin look-alike, I should be able to put anything I want into the display  :lol:  but too many Whiffs could spark off a Counter-Revolutionary coup  :ar:  (There have already been mutterings from Sukhoi-loving Reactionary Elements  :ph34r: over the Twin Kobra and the interceptor version of the Tupolev "Blinder" in last year's display.)

In the meantime, painting of the Yak has begun.

McGreig

The Yak-3 is now finished. The Hobby Boss kit is not as good as their MiG-3 but it's ideal for this sort of project. I'm toying with the idea of using parts from two Hobby Boss Yak-3s for the Piston Perfection GB to make a tandem engined ground attack aircraft along the lines of the Bolkhovitinov "S".

McGreig

Another view. The decals are from the kit and went on easily, just using Klear.

McGreig

McGreig

A final photo. Apart from the One Week MiG-3, this is the easiest and quickest build that I've done for some time.