A-1 (AD) Skyraider, A2D Skyshark, SB2D-1 (BTD-1) Destroyer

Started by Matt Wiser, November 03, 2004, 11:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Pablo1965

Nice Idea, and now, I suppose the next step, will be put the engine, in central position like in the XP75

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Chris707

Per the earlier post on the Destroyer, a quick take on the prototype:

NARSES2

Having built the single seater the multi place one looks far better
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Dizzyfugu

Recently had the "vision" of a Skyraider with two wing-mounted engines (Tigercat?) and a solid nose (with lots of guns)... maybe with a tricycle undercarriage... Could be a mean thing, but just a vague idea so far.  :wacko:

famvburg

jcf

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 18, 2013, 07:44:28 AM
Recently had the "vision" of a Skyraider with two wing-mounted engines (Tigercat?) and a solid nose (with lots of guns)... maybe with a tricycle undercarriage... Could be a mean thing, but just a vague idea so far.  :wacko:

So perhaps something along the lines of the Grumman Design 66/XTSF-1, which was a torpedo bomber based on the Tigercat?
With bombs in the belly and an A-26 style gun-nose in place of the radar.

PR19_Kit

I can see why they cancelled it, the designation was just TOO complicated to remember.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 20, 2013, 10:48:09 AM
I can see why they cancelled it, the designation was just TOO complicated to remember.  ;D

I have the same feeling about all USN pre-1960 designations, all native Russian designations and all Japanese Imperial Naval aircraft designations!   :banghead:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

jcf

Really Brian?, I find the classic USN designation system pretty straight forward.
Ditto the IJN alpha-numeric system, the Imperial calendar system on the other
hand, oi what a headache.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 20, 2013, 11:32:21 PM
Really Brian?, I find the classic USN designation system pretty straight forward.
Ditto the IJN alpha-numeric system, the Imperial calendar system on the other
hand, oi what a headache.

Other interpretations are available...........  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

rickshaw

Yes, really, Jon.  I much prefer a simple name and mark system, with perhaps a designation letter as to role.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on November 20, 2013, 11:32:21 PM

Once I took the time to understand it then it became quite easy (thank you Putnams) , but before that  :blink:

As for that Design 66 then I like that and it's given me the germ of an idea so thanks for posting Jon
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

pyro-manic

The issue with the USN system is that they got a bit carried away with role-letters in some instances. I don't know the Japanese system, but AFAIK it works in much the same way. I do prefer a name/mark system like Rickshaw, though. The American obsession with type designations seems a bit unnecessary to me, using several entirely different designators for variants of the same aircraft. But then the Americans generally seem to see names as of less importance.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<