Main Menu

Usn X-wing

Started by cthulhu77, September 27, 2007, 06:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthulhu77

The new job of typing full time is fun, but I need to carve some styrene too.  Hauled out the old Xwing kit, and decided that a 1930's colour scheme would be fun to work with. Pics on the morrow.

The Rat

Typing full time? No more fun with Hapalochlaena or Cubozoans? You'll be bored out of your skull!

Looking forward to this one! I'm doing a weenie XB-70 in the yellow and blue, just gotta go through the pita of the red and white striping on the tail.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Brian da Basher

Wow that's a killer idea, Greg! Few schemes are sexier than 1930s U.S. yellow and blue and yeah the tail striping is a huge pain but the pay-off is worth it!

Brian da Basher

cthulhu77

Managed to get the cockpit additions scratched up and installed:

dragon

Interesting.  For a moment I thought you were going to put BLUE ANGELS markings on an X-Wing....Hmmmmm....That might just work...Although it might work better with RED ARROWS or PATROUILLE SUISSE markings.   B)  
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Wyrmshadow

I'm making my own naval X-wing.
Likes to re-invent the wheel
http://1wyrmshadow1.deviantart.com/

ysi_maniac

Really CRAZY :wacko:  :blink:
I like it  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

cthulhu77

The wings are starting to come together...one problem with building an already started kit (by a friend of mine about a decade ago) is the lack of being able to prepaint the wells, etc :

cthulhu77

More and more mini work:

anthonyp

Whoa!  That looks sweet so far, Greg!

Looking forward to more!
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Brian da Basher

An X-Wing in U.S. Navy Yellow Wings scheme! Absolutely brilliant and you're pulling it off with great aplomb! Kudos to you Greg!!!
:salute:
Brian da Basher

cthulhu77

Thanks!  Just wait until you read the backstory...really pushing it this time !

cthulhu77

Every pre-ww2 X Wing needs a rear gunner, so I scratched up a quick seat and pit:

cthulhu77

Manhattan, 1927:

Tesla couldn't believe his eyes and ears, coming over his new radiovision set, powered by magnetic coils, was a scene from another world, perhaps another galaxy ! For hours and hours, he sat mesmerized by the strange new world and it's inhabitants, then began to furiously scribble down notes, which he planned to send to his old friend Lucastein in California.

There was a knock upon his apartment door, and Tesla, irritated at being bothered by his landlord yet again, flung the door open with an angry crash, only to see Edison standing there, with a box of the new Schlitz beer...it had been a while since Tesla had tasted a good pilsner, and he quickly apologized, inviting his compatriot in the sciences inside. While placing the clinking bottles inside the icebox, he told Thomas about his recent discovery, and when he opened two beers with a  hiss, he turned to see Edison as fascinated as he had been, in front of the huge 12" screen.

"Tesla", asked Edison, "Where did this come from, do you know?"  On the screen, odd shaped flying vehicles raced about, flinging destructive beams of light at each other.

"I do not know", Tesla replied, "but with the distance radio waves can travel, this could be from a time long, long ago, even...from a galaxy far away."  He took a heavy pull on the chilled beer. "Look at those planes. I think Orville would want to see this."

Edison thought rapidly. " I would like us to work on this project together, my friend. I shall contact my people in the naval armed forces, and see if this is not something they might pay well for."

Tesla knew that he was up to something, but nodded his head anyway, after all, Thom had brought over the beer...

jon_rose

I had thought of doing a pre-war RAF/FAA one like this, but the only readily available kit is a Revell Easy Kit.

Blast.
Locked in the Broom Cupboard.

"The CH-53 is proof that if you strap enough engines to something it will fly."