S-3 Viking, US-3 Viking COD, and ES-3 Shadow

Started by The Rat, November 12, 2005, 06:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

I also have an idea in mind (with associated model) of a Greenpeace or Sea Shepherd Viking?  Say that Greenpeace takes on a more militant stance (or Sea Shepherd increase theirs), somehow acquires a Viking or two and goes out hunting Japanese whaling ships.  I'm thinking of expanding this idea into a full "Whaling War" story.

Regards.

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: GTX on January 27, 2008, 10:25:07 AMThe result:  A relatively in-expensive multi-role combat aircraft that is able to undertake Surveillance, Air-to-Air Refuelling (using buddy pack) Maritime Strike, Anti-Submarine Warfare, Land Attack and Air Defence duties.  Possible weapons include:  Harpoon, SLAM, Maverick, AMRAAM, Sidewinder, Depth Charges, Mines, Torpedos, Laser/GPS guided dumb bombs etc...often able to be carried in an internal weapons bay.

No need for the buddy refueling store if you remove the MAD gear from the aircraft there will be space for the hose and drogue unit to be carried internally with the drogue unit deploying from the orifice previously occupied by the MAD boom when it was retracted. 

All of the other suggestions are relatively simple to achieve if you are able to upgrade the avionics with a suitable attack radar and fire control for the AAM.  Since the original S-3 was eventually cleared for Harpoon, Maverick, and the usual free fall ordnance such as Rockeye, Snakeye, and Quickstrike Mines.  Adding air to air missiles and precision guided bombs to the inventory would surely enhance the capabilities of the S-3. 

This goes along with my own idea of making the bomb bay deeper to carry more stuff by removing the TACO and SENSO positions.  Same idea would apply for the dedicated tanker by removing these positions and using that space for fuel to share with other aircraft.  In this case it could be a very large fuel tank in the new enlarged weapons bay. 

It is too bad that JP Santiago (Sentinel Chicken) has been ignoring this thread, I really enjoyed his graphic portrayals of the S-3 family that he did for us.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

upnorth

From a civilian perspective, I always felt the S-3 would have great potential as a fire killer.

If you made an extended version, with a rear loading ramp, put the main landing gear in sponsons and removed the weapons bays, you'd have the potential for a very good medevac type aircraft.

You could also simply strip out the military gear and replace it with a variety of civilian reece and survey set ups: fisheries control, meteorlogical and geological survey.....

Heck, I'd love to see S-3s done up in colours of some of the big courier outfits for their shorter continental runs... FedEx, UPS, TNT. A stretched cargo converted S-3 would look great in any of their colours.

How well to you think an S-3 would sell as a corporate aircraft? Jennings mentioned the S-3 would be good as a regional airliner and I tend to agree.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

dy031101

The reason why I attempted to revive this thread......

...... I've been thinking about a float-equipped version for maritime patrol over waters that don't have any island big enough for an airfield (or for some of my crazier imaginations, from seaplane carriers).

Since the Viking has an weapons bay, I assume that a twin-float arrangement has to be used...... assuming I intend to find a 1/72 Viking kit, where would you suggest that I take the floats from?

Again, response will be greatly appreciated.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

GTX

Maybe something like the Tigerfish Aviation Floatplane Conversion Concept (see www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,17230.0/highlight,dsei.html)

Regards,

Greg

Shasper

As far as the COD & Tanker birds go, why not base those off a common, altered S-3 Airframe? Say the fuselage of the Greyhound mated to the wings, tail & nose section of the S-3? Up thrust the TF34s if need be since we're at it.

Shas 8)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

dy031101

Quote from: GTX on June 20, 2008, 11:43:02 PM
Maybe something like the Tigerfish Aviation Floatplane Conversion Concept (see www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,17230.0/highlight,dsei.html)

If the ability to use the bomb bay can be perserved.

(Actually perhap it can- just deploy the floats when making attack runs......?)

====================

To-do list here

GTX

Or simply carry ordnance under the wings.

Regards,

Greg

philp

Had to make sure I hadn't posted in this one before  :mellow:

Think my first one of these is going to be a Firebomber from Aero Union with the 2 rear seaters and equipment removed as well as the sonobouys and the area replaced with tanks.

Also want to do several of SC's profiles, especially the Dutch and Norwegian versions.  Also, possibly, the British Falklands version.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

dy031101

What in your estimation is the smallest ship a S-3 could fly from?

Wikipedia claims that modernized Midway class carriers are too small for the Viking......

====================

To-do list here

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: philp on June 22, 2008, 12:35:15 AMThink my first one of these is going to be a Firebomber from Aero Union with the 2 rear seaters and equipment removed as well as the sonobouys and the area replaced with tanks.
Also want to do several of SC's profiles, especially the Dutch and Norwegian versions.  Also, possibly, the British Falklands version.
A possible source for some large volume tanks to mount on the wing pylons would be the parts that are provided in the 1/72nd scale C-130 kits.  This would be for use on a 1/48th scale conversion as they are far too large for a same scale project.

Right after I sent an extra set TF34 engines from a 1/72nd scale S-3 Viking off to a new home I was had this great WHIF idea of adding another set of engines to the S-3.  It would certainly be an interesting concept to put on the display table at the next model contest and cause a few moments of confusion. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

dy031101

Quote from: GTX on June 21, 2008, 10:58:28 PM
Or simply carry ordnance under the wings.

But it would appear that a lot of S-3's bombs- and torpedoes-carrying capacity comes from that internal bay......

I did a bit Goolging on the internet.  There are conflicting claims: some suggesting that Midway and Coral Sea in their final configuration could operate S-3 while others stating that Midway class can't handle S-3, period.

And A-3 Skywarrior, a seemingly larger and heavier aircraft, could fly from Midway class and even Essex class (if very demanding) carriers.

Can anyone elabourate on this?

====================

To-do list here

Eddie M.

Although we didn't operate any S-3 squadrons from the Midway, Miss Piggy was a welcome sight because she bought the mail to us. ;D I took these on the Midway sometime in the late 80s

We also flew the Whale (aka the A-3D) until Nov.87
http://www.midwaysailor.com/midway1980/lastwhale.html
Look behind you!

Eddie M.

A few more that I took on board the Midway.

Look behind you!

jcf

Or you could do the S-3 based the Joined Wing CSA aircraft studied by Boeing.

I saw this model at a Boeing Tech Expo, IIRC it was in 2000 or 2001.

Jon