I Need An Opinion Or Two Or Three...

Started by mwf4nut, September 30, 2007, 12:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwf4nut

I posted earlier pictures of this many moons ago, and I've finally gotten around to working on it again.  I have several configurations in mind, but I can't decide which looks better.  That is where you come in!

Option 1, your basic everyday twin engine F-16:

Option 2 the hunchback version:

Option 3 same as option 1 but with the vertical stabs moved back and out:

Option 4 same as option 2 but with the vertical stabs moved back and out:

I'm really torn between 3 & 4, but my wife likes 1 & 2.  Arghhh, of all the times for her to have an opinion about my work!

Watcha think?

Mark

Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies simply because they become fashion.  G.K. Chesterton

Hobbes

I'd go with option 1. The hunchback makes the fuselage too high, and aligning the horizontal and vertical tailplanes makes for a cleaner look than offsetting them as in 3/4

McGreig

QuoteI'd go with option 1. The hunchback makes the fuselage too high, and aligning the horizontal and vertical tailplanes makes for a cleaner look than offsetting them as in 3/4
I'd agree with that. Option1 may be the simplest, but the overall shape seems more balanced than the others.

Shasper

Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Captain Canada

Option 3......the stabs are to close together on the 1st one. Looks great from the side, but kinda funny from the top.

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

For me, it depends on what your after.  1 & 2 look like they could be a F-16 derivative, the tail of 3 & 4 looks very Soviet.  If your looking to keep the F-16 family line, go with the first tail, if your looking to depart, go with the second one.  Personally I'd ditch the humpback too & maybe look at some larger wings?

Have you ever seen the HS.1202 Mark?  It was Hawker Siddley project almost identical to the F-16, but a fair bit larger.  The HS.1202-9 had twin fins, but with a single engine.  I think twin engined layouts were studied, but I've never seen them.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Definitely Option 3 - the vertical fins don't look right in option 1 (if doing that arrangement, I'd go with a single fin), whereas the hunchback is too much.  Option 3 does also start to look a bit like some of the ATF concepts.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

SinUnNombre

I have to go and break the mold. I would like to see an Option 5 where you moved the stabs out but didnt move them back any. I agree that they look to close together in 1/2, but too far back in 3/4. And while I think that a hunchback could look good, I think that the one you have in the pics is just too big. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Jon

BlackOps

Put me down for option 4. I liked option 2 but I think Option four just has a little more flavor to it :)

Is there any way you can blend your hump into the canopy so you end up with one hump? I think with the canopy in place the bulge might look odd, kind of like a two hump camel  :lol:  
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

mwf4nut

Thanks for the feedback gents!  

SinUmHombre I played around with option 5 and came up with this:

The verticals are placed just outside of where they usually are, and are canted out a little.  

Blackops - I thought about blending the canopy into the hump, making it look kind of like an A-4E/F.  

I think I'm going to go humpless on this one and go for more of the F-16 family look.  I've got a bunch more F-16's waiting to get hacked, so someone is going to have a hump starting at the canopy.

Mossie - I haven't seen the HS. 1202, but as soon as I get done here I'm going to look for it.  :D

As far as the Soviet look goes, yep, that was the first thing I thought of with options 3 & 4.  I'll save that for another time.

Shasper - I'm not sure why you can't see the pics.  

Dang, it feels good to get back into hacking plastic!

Mark
Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies simply because they become fashion.  G.K. Chesterton

Shasper

I'm down to nos. 2 & 4, leaning towards 4.

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

cthulhu77

Too many numbers, but I love the last pic.  Kind of a cross between a bug and a 16...neato.

AeroplaneDriver

I like the last one best (with the canted v-stabs and no hump).  Great concept, cant wait to see her finished.  It makes me wonder....would a twin F-16 have been a naval bird instead of the F-18..?

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

AeroplaneDriver

After a little more browsing at the pics I cant help but think the wing looks a bit small for the longer fuselage.  Have you considered making the wing a bit bigger?  Maybe just a bit of sheet styrene added to the leading edge from the tip to maybe 1 cm in front of the current LE at the root?

Another idea that would depart from the F-16 platform might be removing the horizontal stabilizers and putting the v-stab outboard with a wide cant (sort of like the F-23) and adding a canard to the fuselage plug.

However you end up doing it I love this idea and cant wait to watch it progress.  :wub:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.