Main Menu

Usaf F-14g

Started by coops213, October 05, 2007, 12:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coops213

Well this is my first what if build. I've build many "normal" tomcats in 1/144 and have many unbuilt ones lying around. I found this site and decided to do something different with them.

Anyway, here's my progress so far. First picture, I've changed the engines to look more like the one found in the F-35 JSF. I've extended the beaver tail and added more lumps to the tails, my idea is that they'd be addition electronic countermeasures (or something). I've also added extra chaff/flare launchers next to each tail.

I've changed the pylons to accommodate the HARM missiles, changed the dorsal antenna and added targeting pod for the HARM missiles (like the one the F-16 carries). Also just slightly visible here, I've scribed a new door for the in flight refueling receptacle above the right engine intake.

I've added some bumps to the nose and the beaver tail.

My F-14G will be armed with 2 HARMs, 2 AIM-120s, and 2 AIM-9xs. I've also lengthened the fuel tanks. The amraams are converted from the AIM-7s in the F-14 kit.

Hopefully more to come soon.

Chris

Hobbes

Welcome to the site! Interesting Tomcat you've got there.  

Maverick

Hella nice work so far, especially for that scale.

As a thought, if you can find CBUs, they'd be a nice addition to the warload.

Regards,

Mav

Rafael

Welcome to the asylum, coops!!!

This is a very interesting concept you have there. I'm specially drawn to the small lenghtenings of forward fuselage and external tankage.

Also, I can't stop from congratulating you for your exquisite work in such small a scale. And your photographic skill.

Saludos,

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Spey_Phantom

first of, welcome to the site  :cheers:
second, that is a verry nice tomcat your building there, and its 1/144  :wub:  (im just crazy about 1/144)
love to see her finished  B)  
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

ysi_maniac

Oh yeah, a nice start.
Will die without understanding this world.

Radish

Cool.
I wanna get into 1/144th for fun.
That mod looks super.

WELCOME!!
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Shasper

Food for thought, but you could put the Harm targeting pod in place of the F-14's undernose pod.

Just a thought, everything else you've got goin on looks FABULOUS!

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Joe C-P

Looking forward to the results of this.  B)

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

noxioux

Excellent!

I really admire you guys who can pull things off in this scale.  My stubby fingers ache just thinking about it.

coops213

Hey guys, thanks for all the comments!

Maverick, I did consider putting bombs on this one, but I also wanted to load it out with modern missiles as well as harms, and I couldn't figure our how to fit everything on.

Rafael, I haven't actually lengthened the fuselage. The dragon kit doesn't go together all too well so I use plastic strip to fill gaps.

Anyway, here's some more pics. I've started putting paint on it now. My plan is to paint it up with current F-16 camouflage. Maybe with WW on the tails.

Chris

coops213

More paintwork done.

Chris

anthonyp

I like the route you took with the tail pipes!  Very nice!   :thumbsup:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Shasper

THrust vectoring eh? Not a bad touch for an Iron Hand bird.

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

coops213

Thanks guys! Anthonyp, I didn't have thrust vectoring in mind so much. I figured to keep their F-14G "cutting edge" the USAF might re-engine them with the engines developed for the JSF. According to what I can find online these engines (Pratt & Whitney F135) produce ~40,000lbs of thrust, compared to the 27,000lbs for the F-14D's General Electric F110s.

Oh yeah, the the zig zag edge looks cool.  B)

Chris