Flying Boat, Sea Plane, and Amphibian Group Build (2 GB merged into 1)

Started by anthonyp, October 06, 2007, 07:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyp

Had another idea for a GB as I'm wrestling with my 1/72 E-2 to HU-30 amphibian conversion.  Granted the 1/144 version I'm doing is going together like a dream, but that's another story...

Anyways, with the latest buying kick I've been on, I've come to the conclusion that flying boats are cool!  Sorta impractical given the long range of today's maritime patrol aircraft, but there's just something about setting a big plane down on the sea for whatever reason then taking off again that's just neat.

I think the pic of the C-130 flying boat in the General Modeling forum sent me over the edge for this idea.  I'd seen that pic before, but this one just fit in with what I've been thinking about lately.

I figure besides putting alternate markings on flying boats, what about adding hulls to existing planes?  Flying boat C-141 anyone?  An-72?  YC-15?  With cargo planes, there's all kinds of possibilities!
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

nev

Are we including floatplanes as well as flying boats here?

Either way, I know a certain secular humanist in Ontario who's *dying* to make another planing hull out of balsa wood ;)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

anthonyp

As soon as I hit the "submit" button to post this subject, I thought "I should say float planes would be allowed as well."  Then I remembered I had a bbq beef brisquit sandwich waiting for me and figured someone else would say something   :lol:

Yep, float planes would be allowed.

Andrew Gorman

I have a flying boat started, and a group build would give me more incentive to finish the darn thing!  Mine stared out as a couple of vacuform Stratocruisers and wings from a Go-229 and a Harrier, and may end up something like a SARO proposal for a monster flying boat:
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2695001730...048918155QVwPHU
Count me in, and let's get this rolling!
Andrew

jcf

You can also go back in time like Daryl's notion to turn a B-24 into a flying boat:

B-24 FLYING BOAT

Its in that thread as well, but here is the SARO S.42 proposal to use Lancaster wings and empennage mated to a new hull.

Cheers, Jon

p.s. 'Magnesium Overcast' contains a drawing of a flying boat version of the Convair Model 37, the landplane version was built as the XC-99

McGreig

Quotea group build would give me more incentive to finish the darn thing!  - - - Count me in, and let's get this rolling!
Likewise. I've got all the parts looked out for a couple of Soviet flying boats but I never seem to get round to the actual construction - a GB would be a good way to kick start at least one of them.

TsrJoe

hm... would def be an excuse to finish all the extra ones id planned for the ongoing Schnieder trophy build... now wheres that IL.28...lol

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

The Rat

QuoteEither way, I know a certain secular humanist in Ontario who's *dying* to make another planing hull out of balsa wood ;)
Actually I wouldn't call myself a 'secular humanist', far too many ranting raving antitheistic knobs among that bunch for my liking, they make me look bad.

But as for the rest...

GUILTY AS CHARGED!  :D

I would LOOOVE to do a DHC Dash 7 with a hull, but as kits are scarce and expensive I would probably settle for a Dash 8.  B)  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

lancer

The title of this topic really got me thinking..I mean a flying boat. I have visions of a boat with wings. Perhaps a Vosper MTB with the wings from a Lancaster or a Wellington, V-tail on the transom. I know I'm going mad aren't I :dum:  :dum:   :wacko:  :wacko:  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

TsrJoe

i recall seeing something similar amongst Saunders Roe design projects...possibly in Sea to Air by Ray Wheeler ?

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

GTX

QuoteI know I'm going mad aren't I

Yep - got it right there!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

SebastianP

I see a real franken-kit before me: Take an 1/72 B-52, chop the wings off and shorten it a *lot* both in front and aft of the shoulder. Shape the hull form on the bottom, and add the wings from a P-3. Use the tanks from the B-52, or a pair of 1/48 F-16 centerline tanks (better option, I think) as floats.

(The above idea stems from the overslung engines on the P-3, and the need for a high-wing monoplane fuselage big enough to mount those wings on, that didn't have a rear ramp that would need deleting. The B-52 fuselage is tall and rather narrow, which should make it excellent for something like this, especially if it's shortened enough...)

SP

Mossie

Well, if anyones feeling ambitious I found some Short Shetland plans on the net, both the military & civil versions: http://www.seawings.co.uk/shetplanpage.htm
Not likely, I know, but here's hoping!!! :rolleyes:

And I've just got to put some pics up of this beast, not pretty, but impressive:

Now if someone was to do a Be-2500...... :o  :blink:  B)  
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

anthonyp

In case you haven't checked out the CG/SAR GB yet, flying boats are cool:

That's the 1/144 version of the E-2 to flying boat conversion I did.  There's also a 1/72 version I'm working on too.

The Rat

Anthony, looks like she was MADE to have a hull!  :wub:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr