Flying Boat, Sea Plane, and Amphibian Group Build (2 GB merged into 1)

Started by anthonyp, October 06, 2007, 07:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

Yep, looks totally right.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

puddingwrestler

I was thinking last night about seaplanes. Specifically, seaplane fighters. Really specifically, jet powered 21st century Seaplane fighters! (Well, the Republica San Torta needs to fly something!)
So I propose a Seaplane Group Build. The idea is that you convert ANYTHING which isn't meant to take off from water into something that is intended to take off from water! Ever wondered about an amphibian JU-87? How about a Flyingboat version of the Handley-Page Victor? And what kinda crazy mixed-up thing would happen if the US Navy insisted on an amphibian Joint Strike Fighter?

Is there any interest? Is this proposal insane enough, or is it too insane? Do other men share my lust to see more sea planes?
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Ed S

That would be interesting.  I suppose, with some support, it could get into the next GB voting.  I do have a set of floats in my spares box that I could put to good use.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

sotoolslinger

Like the idea ,but can we not limit it to modern stuff? :thumbsup:  I'm not in jet mode now. :blink:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

puddingwrestler

I never intended to limit it, I've been thinking about jet seaplanes recently is all.

The Rat

Now what could possibly interest ME about such a thing?  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

anthonyp

I suggested a broader "Flying Boat" build late year, which can be found here.

Neither this one, nor the Flying Boat one, will be on the GB poll anytime soon (too many others have been waiting for too long).
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

puddingwrestler

Anthony, technically, flyingboats are a category of Seaplane (I know! I used to thing seaplane all had a pair of floats     stickingoff the bottom too!), so they are included in this GB. However, since you have a GB proposal already in, maybe we should just combine them? I didn't notice yours or I probably wouldn't have bothered posting this. Although it seems to have got people thinking about aquatic launched aviation again. ;D

lancer

Quote from: The Rat on May 11, 2008, 07:30:57 PM
Now what could possibly interest ME about such a thing?  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

You want a list??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

lenny100

how about this as seen at perth

Me, I'm dishonest, and you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest.
Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to watch out for!!!

The Rat

Quote from: lenny100 on May 12, 2008, 09:08:24 AM
how about this as seen at perth

I want that person's name for my Hall of Hull-loving Heros!  :wub:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

nev

Well, this could finally be the excuse I need to do my oft-promised but never actually started Spitfire seaplane..
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

jeff3385

And speaking of Spitfires... Eddie M can rework his Spit/P-38 build by trashing the LG and hanging floats on it.
But ONLY after he finishes Aygore (hint hint) :party:
Jeff Briner
Past President
IPMS/USA

GTX

Speaking of Spit Seaplanes, how's this for a variation:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: anthonyp on May 11, 2008, 08:09:28 PMI suggested a broader "Flying Boat" build late year, which can be found here.
Neither this one, nor the Flying Boat one, will be on the GB poll anytime soon (too many others have been waiting for too long).
How about merging this thread with the earlier Flying Boat GB proposal?  Since they are both in the same category it would benefit all concerned if these GB proposals were consolidated.  This could increase the chances of the merged GB coming up for a vote much sooner than having two separate group builds languishing in the archive. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg