Boeing F/a-31a Banshee Ii

Started by anthonyp, October 06, 2007, 04:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyp

So, there I was staring at my Monica model, and thought "That is one ugly plane."  Then I saw some profiles of a modified F-32 in Japanese service with a lengthened nose, making the plane look less... hmmm, how can I put this?   "GAAAAHHH!!!!"  Yes, that'll do.  The profiles made the plane less "GAAAAHHH!!!!"

Then I found another CGI of what looks to me like an X-32 with a modified wing (maybe early in the design phase):

I took a look at it and thought it made the Monica almost a Prom Queen.  Then I combined the modified wing plan and tail configuration and the elongated nose, and came up with something altogether unexpected:

The Boeing F/A-31A Banshee II (sometimes referred to as the "Screaming Banshee")

The JSF competition was won by Boeing, after they'd acquired McDonnel Douglas and incorporated design elements and lessons learned from the F-23 program (which Northrup and McD won in the early 90's).

Using experience from the ATF competition (as well as personnel), Boeing redesigned most of the aircraft that would become the F/A-31.  The original X-32 designation was discarded, since Boeing produced the YF-31 prototype using company funds (the last such aircraft program to ever have that happen).

The F/A-30 went on to replace early model F/A-18's quite quickly, beginning in 2008 with VFA-15:

I used the tails from the X-32 on the wingtips (after trimming off the original wingtips from the kit).  Also, performed heavy surgery on the X-32 to remove the original cockpit, and grafted the front end of an old, destroyed (for the most part) YF-23.  It was my SF-23 paint scheme test plane originally, but I'd lost both tail surfaces and the undercarriage at some point in time.

After copious amounts of PSR, and redesigns (at one point it had canards), I think it turned out quite well.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

gooberliberation

================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Supertom

"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Rafael

Sublime, and a masterpiece, Anthony!!!

Really the epitome of stealth design in whifworld!!! :bow:  :thumbsup:  :salute:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

BlackOps

Wow! that lengthened nose sure changes the look a bunch. I really like the rendering with the larger wing and the tail fins moved to the outside. Looks like you've done a pretty nice job of blending the ideas.  :thumbsup:  
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Spey_Phantom

wow, if that is what you get when an -32 gets a new nose job, then i'll take 48 for belgium  :lol:
thats some real nice engineering work there m8  :wub:  
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

noxioux

What a beauty!  Very well done.

lancer

That is an amazing bit ow work Anthony. Bloody well done mate, your alter ego will be weeping into his vodka over this one... :bow:  :bow:  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mossie

Nice job Anthony!  B)  So this Monica is a screamer eh??? :P  
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Brian da Basher

Totally sweet, Anthony! You've created a whiff of extraordinary magnitude!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Jeffry Fontaine

Calling that thing with the beak "Monica" is really not a good description.  Perhaps the name "Rodan" would be more appropriate as it has a real beak and it looks quite bird like in appearance.  Not that is should be starring in a "B" movie with Godzilla or anything as it does look a lot better than the original prototype that Boeing built.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

anthonyp

QuoteCalling that thing with the beak "Monica" is really not a good description.  Perhaps the name "Rodan" would be more appropriate as it has a real beak and it looks quite bird like in appearance.  Not that is should be starring in a "B" movie with Godzilla or anything as it does look a lot better than the original prototype that Boeing built.
Actually, I was calling the original X-32 "Monica," not that CGI I posted above.  Gotta agree, though, that does look like Rodan!

Thanks for the comments, guys, glad you like it!  I was playing with making the wings a bit more like the CGI, but decided that it'd best be completed with minimal change to the wings (seeing as how I could seriously frak them up beyond all hope of salvage).

:cheers:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

ysi_maniac

Really top notch
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

Archibald

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.