Main Menu

Pak Carrier

Started by PanzerWulff, October 08, 2007, 09:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzerWulff

Well I decided to shake off this Aircraft rut I'm in at the moment with a nice LiL armor Whif.So I started rummaging around my spares boxes and came up with a Pak40 from a DML SdKfz 221 halftrack and one of my tamiya 1/35 Universal Carrier kits.I had remembered these pics in my references

and remembering how much german forces reused captured equipment,I thought how many universal carriers were left behind at Dunqurke? and what would the germans have done with them. at first i thought of a MG38/42 carrier sort of a mobile MG nest but when i remembered the Pak 40 this is what I started

So as always Enjoy
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

nev

Nice idea, but you might want to add some counter-weights on there - I think the blast might knock the wee little UC over!  Then again, its probly overloaded as it is....
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

GeorgeC

Not quite there but a 37mm (real world) version -

This forum has some other interesting pictures of captured carriers:

Axis History Forum

nev

Dredging the memory banks there was also a proposal to put a 2 pdr on a UC, inside a box turrret (a prototype was built)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

PanzerWulff

I have always loved the look of the universal carrier and have thought of a few variants of my own one as a Browning gun carrier armed with 2 browning 1917 air cooled 30cal MG's and a single M2 50cal or maybe a 106mm recoiless rifle like as was mounted on some jeeps or even do a SAS jeep conversion on one as I still have 2 more kits of the UC in my stash

well here are 2 new pics as i have added some detail and some interior paint I hope to have the vehicle looking a bit more complete by this weekend as next monday i go in for MORE knee surgery Wish me luck ;)

"Panzer"

HOG

QuoteNice idea, but you might want to add some counter-weights on there - I think the blast might knock the wee little UC over!  Then again, its probly overloaded as it is....

With regards to the above I thought I might add a little story my Dad told me about my Grandad.
During WW2, He was serving in the Home Guard with the rank of sargent. During excercises he seems to have thrown a flashbang (training grenade) under a UC which promptly blew it on its side, for which he was put on a charge. Now it was probably either the terrain the carrierwas on , its movement at the time or a combination of both, but you might consider some form of spade at the rear to help recoil.
:dalek:  
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

wolfik

ohohohoh....pak40 on a bren?.... :blink:
the rso with this arrangement was not a real stable platform...
do some stabilizers or a rear earth skip please...
or you will drive backwards faster as forwards  :cheers:
what about the 5cm pak38?

PanzerWulff

Quoteohohohoh....pak40 on a bren?.... :blink:
the rso with this arrangement was not a real stable platform...
do some stabilizers or a rear earth skip please...
or you will drive backwards faster as forwards  :cheers:
what about the 5cm pak38?
Right now I'm trying to design a rear stabilizing blade that won't interfere with the Ammo trailer hitch I'm also planning to add some weight to the front end maybe as some Schurtzen like on a Stug IV. And if I had a Pak 38 I probably would have tried that ;)  lol I sort of got this idea from a GB on Finescale a year or so ago ,the GB called "Thats NOT Right" had a guy mount an "88" on a Kubelwagen :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  so this build is more an exercize in coolness rather than practicality BUT if I could make this LiL Beastie a bit more plauseable then that would be even Cooler!!! thanks for the ideas Nev,George,HOG & Wolfik I'm glad ya like it so far :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"Panzer"

SinUnNombre

Cool little build you've got there, Panzer. I'd also really like to see one with the 106mm recoilless like you suggested. Keep up the good work.

Jon

Brian da Basher

Wow Panzer you build everything! Aircraft, AFV's, I bet you even do figures! That's one mean looking piece of armor there. It's sure make me head for the hills!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

P.S. Best of luck with the knee on Monday. I hope you have a quick and painless recovery.

HOG

Hi Panzerwulf,
Now I`ve built a few AFV`s over the years but don`t really know a lot about them and this idea just occured to me.
Would it be possible to attach some form of entrenching tool to the tracks when the vehicle is in firing position. The carrier could then reverse and fix itself into the ground for firing and recoil. This would free up the towbar area for the trailer etc.

Perhaps I`m pushing the bounds of whatiffery or maybe it has been done in reality but its only an idea. Interesting build by the way. I`ve seen pics of UC`s used to tow Luft bombers, but your build makes me think of a towing vehicle with the starter and oil changeing boxes on the back. Maybe a project for a Luft46 dio
Regards Gary :dalek:  
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Leigh

an "88" on a Kubelwagen :rolleyes: , couldn't Kubelwagens float?, so you could stick an outboard on the back and have one hell of a river patrol boat.

On the serious side wasn't a .50 cal not uncommon on a UC?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

elmayerle

Quotean "88" on a Kubelwagen :rolleyes: , couldn't Kubelwagens float?, so you could stick an outboard on the back and have one hell of a river patrol boat.
Actually, ISTR that the "floating Kubelwagen" was called the "Schwimmwagen" and was a different, watertight, body on the same mechanicals.  Now, add a bigger motor and mount a .50 cal machine gun or two and you'd have a nice river patroller.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

PanzerWulff

I figured out the recoil spade i will be using, it will be hinged as to swing up and out of the way of the tow hook.and I will be using a italeri Sd.Anhanger 51 ammo trailer with the 20mm cargo removed  ;) as for my other UC whiffs You will Seeeeeee :P  :lol:  :P
"Panzer"

nev

QuoteOn the serious side wasn't a .50 cal not uncommon on a UC?
The standard armament was a Bren gun out the front (hence why the UC is often called a Bren Carrier), but there were also a lot of UCs used by machine gun platoons to carry their Vickers MGs on the back - I have a photo in one book showing a demonstration of them being fired "mounted" but they would almost always dismount the MG for use in action.  The UC was just for transport.