Mig-25 With Canards

Started by McGreig, October 09, 2007, 01:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGreig

This is something that I'm trying to get finished for Scale Modelworld atTelford.

It was originally built about 12 years ago and represented one of the MiG-25 prototypes. On these aircraft the vertical fins were much smaller than on the production version and the ventral fins were much larger.

For reasons that I couldn't quite put my finger on, I was never very happy with the result and, when it was damaged at a model show, I never got round to repairing it and it's gathered dust and gradually deteriorated further over the last few years.

McGreig

However, I looked at it again when it emerged from a moving box (the house move was 10 months ago and we're still unpacking!) and thought that it might be worth restoring, especially if I took the opportunity to add canards. All MiG-25 prototypes had provision for canards, but testing showed them to be unnecessary and they were never fitted. The shape of the canard is based on those designed for the Ye-152 and tested on the MiG-21 and the size is estimated on the basis of the attachment point visible in photos of the MiG-25 prototypes.

McGreig

The red winged colour scheme is based on an old profile whose artist appears to have been influenced by the MiG-23 prototype. As far as I know, no MiG-25 ever had red wings and the "3155" code on the real aircraft was done in a sort of stylised speed lettering.. However, as the addition of the canards puts this (slightly) into Whiff World, I'm probably going to keep the red and the numbers will stay as they are (except for turning red).

The next stage is to sand everything down before adding the undercarriage etc and to decide whether or not to reinstate a missile pylon (the interceptor prototypes carried only two, not four) or to be lazy and leave it as it is.

gooberliberation

If I remember right, canards weren't needed because the huge air intakes provide quite a bit of lift, but only at high speeds.

A dogfighting Foxbat?
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Rafael

Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

B777LR

Cool! Could almost use a cannon now!