Supermarine 'spatfire'

Started by kitbasher, October 11, 2007, 01:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

The twenty years between the end of the First World War and the Munich Crisis were characterised by tight military budgetary constraints and an all-pervading conservatism amongst the RAF's leaders.  Such was the climate and culture that generally hampered aircraft development and led to inadequate equipment.  There were two exceptions to this rule, however.  The Fairey Fox, a private-venture development to an Air ministry specification, was a radical departure from the norm in that it introduced the concept of a (comparatively) aerodynamically clean design that resulted in a high speed light bomber that could easily outpace the RAF's fighters of the time.  The second was the Supermarine Swallow.
So impressed with the performance of the Schneider Trophy-winning Supermarine S.5, the Air Ministry ordered the development of a landplane derivative for Metropolitan point air defence duties.  Incorporating features that would also appear on the emerging S.6 (development funds were diverted from the S.6B programme, hence that type being privately funded), the Swallow had the distinction of being the RAF's first monoplane fighter since the Bristol M.1 and would remain so until the advent of the Hawker Hurricane.
Radical in so many ways, the Swallow was equally traditional.  Unlike its biplane contemporaries, it sported a water-cooled engine and eschewed external bracing of its flying surfaces.  It was also the first RAF fighter to be fitted with a three-blade propeller (albeit fixed-pitch) and an all-metal fuselage.  Conversely, the fin, rudder and wings were fabric-covered.  The monoplane configuration and slim fuselage meant that the armament (the traditional 2 x .303 Lewis guns) was mounted in fairings under the wings (a feature of the later Gladiator). 
The Swallow entered service with 43 Squadron in early 1929, replacing the Armstrong-Whitworth Siskin.  41 Squadron traded in its Siskins later the same year.
Although fast, fuel capacity and therefore range was limited.  In spite of its relatively advanced aerodynamics, the Swallow was let down by temperamental engines; the cash-strapped RAF could ill-afford an unreliable type that was expensive to build and operate and its days became quickly numbered.  So it was the Swallow was replaced in squadron service by a less radical, but more reliable and equally capable Hawker Fury in 1933.     
(donor kits: Airfix Supermarine S6b, Mosquito XVIII, Gladiator I, F-5A Freedom Fighter, Messerschmitt Bf110; Eastern Express Spitfire Vb 'Floatfire'; Aeroclub V056; Kopro Spitfire IXe)

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Chap

Lovely work kitbasher! :thumbsup: This era in history is definitely under appreciated and under modeled.

~Steve  

PanzerWulff

Awesome job Brian's going to be DROOLING all over his keyboard!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup: "Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

AeroplaneDriver

Interwar stuff really isnt my cup of tea, but I still know a beautiful aircraft when I see one!  

Beautiful work!!

:wub:  
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Brian da Basher

ohhh man I think I'm in LOVE!!! :wub:

This is one of the most beautiful aircraft ever to grace What-If kitbasher!

If that beauty could cook, I'd marry it!
:wub: :wub:
Oh and it's got a pair of amazingly sexy spats!!! :wub:
Brian da Basher

Leigh

That looks right!

Interested to know wot the Freedom Fighter donated?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

AeroplaneDriver

QuoteThat looks right!

The exhaust fairings on the cowling look like they may be drop tanks...

kitbasher

QuoteThat looks right!

The basic kit is the Airfix S6b, so the fairings on th enose are in fact part of that kit asthey would cover the pistons on the original machine.  The exhaust pipes themselves came from an old Airfix Bf110.
The F-5 contribution is a bomb - cut in half and used as the fairing along the rear fuselage behind the cockpit. :D  :D  
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

AeroplaneDriver

QuoteThat looks right!

The basic kit is the Airfix S6b, so the fairings on th enose are in fact part of that kit asthey would cover the pistons on the original machine.  The exhaust pipes themselves came from an old Airfix Bf110.
The F-5 contribution is a bomb - cut in half and used as the fairing along the rear fuselage behind the cockpit. :D  :D
But my guess was in the right general area, so I get half a point, right?

:D  

kitbasher

go on then, half a point to you then, AeroplaneDriver  :D  :D  

ysi_maniac

Absolutely gorgeous
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

kitbasher

SWALLOW GETS SMW COMMENDATION SHOCK!!!
Gulp - fame at last.  Well, with only 5 in the 'Whiff' class the odds were not exactly unfavourable.
Here's to next year!!
:D  :D  

Brian da Basher

Well done! Congratulations!
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

The Rat

Quote...with only 5 in the 'Whiff' class...
But you're 'spreading the word', which is the most important thing!  :thumbsup:

Absolutely gorgeous model too.  :cheers:  :bow:

EDIT: Just noticed that your certificate says that it's an exhibit of a David Drake by Supermarine Swallow. Do they judge the Whiffs after a few drinks? Would seem appropriate... :lol:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Sisko

Nice build!!! :wub:

I bet you could fool a lot of people with that one! :ph34r:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!