F-5E Tiger Scheme

Started by John Howling Mouse, November 08, 2003, 09:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasper

JHM, what colors did U use & how did you do the pattern?

Ves B)  
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

John Howling Mouse

QuoteJHM, what colors did U use & how did you do the pattern?
The base color is simply Krylon's primer grey (becomes just the right amount darker once hit with clearcoats).  This is the basecoat I use for all my models now.  Just thick enough to erase all sanding imperfections while leaving every rivet visible.

The various stripes are Testors Acryl, their colors mixed to my own satisfaction (I very rarely use any color right out of the bottle---surprise, surprise) and are simply hand-painted.

For all its good and bad attributes, Acryl goes on very thin when handpainting with a brush, leaving virtually no streaks, runs or edges.  Which is very strange because, when you airbrush with it, Acryl will leave a very noticeable raised edge line wherever you had tape.  In fact, I use it on purpose to recreate raised panel lines that have been sanded off along joints and to make scale detail lines for sci-fi models, etc.

When handbrushing, though, it does take two or three coats for complete opacity so, all those stripes you see?  Several handpainted sessions for each!!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Shasper

Well, splendid job chap! ;)

Ves B)  
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Ollie

Very nice Barry!

Swiss, hmmmmmm, cheese!!!

B)  :wub:  

Mike Wren

that's absolutely superb Barry, nice one  :wub:  

John Howling Mouse

Captain Canada

Wow, that is sweet barry !

From your first pics, I thought it was grey like the 439 Hornet special of a few years back......

Keep up the great work !

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

QuoteFrom your first pics, I thought it was grey like the 439 Hornet special of a few years back......

Keep up the great work !

Thanks, Toad.  Do you mean this Hornet scheme?  Also one of my favorites.

Captain Canada

yeah, that's the one ! I gotta get those LE decals for that thing.....for sure !

Also, I saw that CF-5 book, but passed on it for now, 30 bucks is allot for that size, but I'll probably buy it anyhow ! I grabbed the RCAF finish and markings book instead.

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

QuoteAlso, I saw that CF-5 book, but passed on it for now, 30 bucks is allot for that size...
Yeah, $30 ain't cheap.  But, IMHO, it sure is worth it.
Maybe your local library has a copy you can check out?

John Howling Mouse

Some better, daylight/flash photos of the little F-5E in Swiss tigermeet scheme.

It looks so tiny next to my F-18F Super Hornet in progress!

John Howling Mouse

John Howling Mouse

Aft view.  Not a T-Tail (that's yet to come), but still a fine-looking airplane.

Always thought of the F-5 as kind of the quintessential, basic fighter shape (eh, Bob?).

John Howling Mouse

Belly view, courtesy of Gronk ™ Handivision Cam...

nev

Barry, how did you do the concrete runway?

I'm planning on doing one for my tornado.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May