Hispano Aviación Ha-350 Dardo (dart) FINISHED

Started by ysi_maniac, October 18, 2007, 11:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

Wow, you're like Thorvic's long lost brother  :P  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

ysi_maniac

QuoteNow, some questions about engine:

I am thinking in equipping it with dry RR Avon

Would it fit? Tumansky R-11 906 mm diameter, Avon 1050 mm diameter. Airfix model is a little oversized anyway.

Could a dry Avon be supersonic? Supercruise in 60s?
Well, you are being very kind with your comments; but I still need some help from you, knowledgeable sirs. So, I repeat my question ^^^^.
Will die without understanding this world.

wolfik

looks like it will be a nice one...
like kitbashing and this one is not easy...
go ahead! :cheers:  

Mossie

Carlos, from your plans there seems to be an area rule bulge at the rear of the fuselage so I think you should be able to get an Avon in there with a little squeeze at each end.  As for supercruise, I'm not really the person to answer your question, but I'd say it's just about possible.  The Lightning could supercruise, although it had two Avons.  The Draken with more advanced aerodynamics & it's single Avon could go supersonic very easily in reheat, in fact the second (re-heated) prototype did so on it's first flight quite unintentionally.  So you might want an engineer to give you the nod, but I'd say maybe, but probably only in a dive?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

elmayerle

I'd go for a variation on the Swedish-built Avons (they seemed to get better afterburning performance than RR did) and I suspect she'd not be able to supercruise, though I suspect she could slip through the sound barrier in a dive without afterburner.  I don't believe any aircraft of that vintage was capable of supercruising in level flight on the engines then available.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

ysi_maniac

Aircraft___Dry Thrust (lb)___Reheat Thrust (lb)___Max weight (kg)___thrust/weight ratio

Draken (late)_____12800_____________17600__________16000___________0.5
EE Lightning F6___13200_____________16300__________19000___________0.78
Hunter FGA9_____10150____________________________11000___________0.42
HA-300 (p. engine)_7500_____________10500___________5445___________0.87

HA-350 (whif)______9500_____________12000___________8000___________0.68

Arc3371

So you won´t be using the RM6C in the HA-350?

ysi_maniac

The point is the length of afterburners. Draken's and Lightning's afterburners are way too long for this airframe. I am thinking in an Avon downgraded version with a shorter afterburner (less than 2 metres).

Would it be possible?

Arc3371

ysi_maniac

elmayerle

Well, maybe.  I'd have to do some comparisons with other engines of the era (J79, especially since it's a very similar design - single-spool turbojet) to see what could be done there.  Just off the top of my head, I don't see any reason why you couldn't have a shorter afterburner section, but there may be some technological developments since then that I'm not aware of.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

ysi_maniac

As you can see, tail pipe is slightly longer that in HA-300, so it can house an RR Avon and a small size afterburner.
Upper lip of nozzle does not contain a parachute but is part of airbrake, not yet installed.

ysi_maniac

Mike Wren