Turboprop Fighters

Started by Mossie, October 18, 2007, 12:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Hmm, I'd forgotten about that Lenny!  If I remember, ducted fans are particularly suited to low speed handling, if turboprops had been more prolific than they may possibly have equipped trainers or observation types, like the Edgley Optica?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Speaking of which, does anyone do a kit of the Edgley Optica?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

I've never found one Greg, I've been hoping so for a while!  I'd love to do a COIN version, maybe fitted with various electronic lumps & bumps.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

kitnut617

QuoteSpeaking of which, does anyone do a kit of the Edgley Optica?

Regards,

Greg
Yes there is, in 1/72.  But I can't remember who made it now though.  I thought it was our friends at Mach II.  I'll keep looking.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Mossie

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

dy031101

Itsuha from Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces.

I once considered it not as sleek as the Sanka, but its bulbous radome now makes me think...... what say if we turn the design into a missileer by scaling it up if necessary (at least a missileer needs a two-man crew) and then put Bendix Eagle missiles under its wings?

EDIT: Was half-asleep when first typing this post.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

PR19_Kit

Having read the discussions on this bumped thread, there were a couple of projected turbo-prop fighters for real, although they are usually remembered for other reasons. I'm talking about the Convair XFY-1 Pogo and the Lockheed XFV-1 Salmon, both of which used the big Allison YT-40 turbo-prop.

They solved the 'Where do you put the radar' question by having installed in front of the prop, inside the monster spinner! Or at least they planned to do that, AFAIK neither aircraft actually flew with the planned radar installed. Full scale Whiff thinking there.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

dy031101

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 17, 2010, 02:47:32 AM
They solved the 'Where do you put the radar' question by having installed in front of the prop, inside the monster spinner! Or at least they planned to do that, AFAIK neither aircraft actually flew with the planned radar installed. Full scale Whiff thinking there.  :thumbsup:

Um...... I got a question- of a fire control radar unit to be installed in the configuration you described, what needs to be in the spinner with the antenna and what can be mounted further behind within the nose?  Can we run some wires past the engine to connect two seperate parts (if one of those is mounted behind the engine) of the radar?

It's just that I'd imagine the spinner to be even bigger than those on the Pogo and Salmon if the entire radar unit is to be mounted inside of the spinner......
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Fulcrum

I know this is a silly idea, but why don't just replace the cannon in the spinner of the Bf-109 with a miniurized radar unit?
Fulcrums Forever!!!
Master Assembler

gral_rj

Quote from: Fulcrum on March 18, 2010, 12:09:05 AM
I know this is a silly idea, but why don't just replace the cannon in the spinner of the Bf-109 with a miniurized radar unit?

No space for it; the spinner isn't hollow, there's an axle inside it. The barrel of the cannon goes inside that axle.

Weaver

I'd love to know what effects vibration would have on a spinner-mounted radar set/aerial......... :blink:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Mossie

Early on radar sets would be placed in pods mounted on pylons or faired into the wing.  Maybe this approach would continue, until the need for larger dishes started to make this practice impractical.  As mentioned above, pusher configurations would have been favourable, there are also other ways of incorporating arrays rather than a dish, maybe these could be explored further.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: dy031101 on March 17, 2010, 08:01:40 AM
Um...... I got a question- of a fire control radar unit to be installed in the configuration you described, what needs to be in the spinner with the antenna and what can be mounted further behind within the nose?  Can we run some wires past the engine to connect two seperate parts (if one of those is mounted behind the engine) of the radar?

It's just that I'd imagine the spinner to be even bigger than those on the Pogo and Salmon if the entire radar unit is to be mounted inside of the spinner......

AFAIK just the scanner head was to be in the spinner dome, and the waveguide was to extend through the contra-prop tubular axle from a junction box behind it. But if you look at stripped down pics of the Pogo, the prop gearbox is mounted RIGHT behind the prop base-plate, so where the radar stuff was going to go goodness only knows.

In my Whiffed Convair-Hawker Osprey I made the whole airframe longer to give it some more space, but I don't know how far Convair got on planning a 'production' version.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Stargazer

Whatever happened to these two? Did you finish them, Robert?

Quote from: kitnut617 on October 18, 2007, 05:35:35 PM
I'd given this some thought for quite a while Simon,  I came up with these two, which could be either turboprop or piston powered:

Robert