Fieseler Fi-156 Storch Whiffs

Started by Chap, October 24, 2007, 01:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chap

Title says it all; I've always loved the looks of this one. Of course to be a suitable whiff thread, I've included both spatted and T-tail variants. :D Ideas and constructive criticism welcome as always.

~Steve

Daryl J.

An autogyro Storch?!???   From the Tamiya kit???!!  :lol:      Now that would cause unfettered apoplexy, extended thread wars, and calls for uprising amongst the General Closed-Minded Modelling Populace worldwide.

I love it!

Daryl J.

PS:   Canadian and USCG markings please....box stock kit or some spindly Preying Mantis-like floats since no one's done that.

Arc3371

I would probably go for the spatted low-wing in some Asian or African bushwar/insurrection. The autogyro is interesting but with the Storches STOL performance I donĀ“t really see the point.

Brian da Basher

Those spats are gorgeous!!! :wub: :wub:

Thank you!!

Brian da Basher

Maverick

Nice whiffs, the Autogyro looks particularly good, regardless of the Storch's STOL abilities.   I'd suggest the low-wings would be of negligible value as they would obscure the view from the cockpit.

Mav

Chap

Thank you for the kind words and ideas everyone! I agree about the autogyro and low wing versions, not very practical. I'll try to cobble a floatplane version later today. Are there any other ideas? Reason being is that I plan on building one soon in 1/72nd.

~Steve

Joe C-P

Kriegsmarine markings for service aboard the carrier Graf Zeppelin.

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Chap

That's a great idea JoeP! I believe the Japanese operated the license built version on their carriers?

Floatplane variant as promised:

~Steve

jcf

Shorter landing gear with spatted wheels and a radial engine so it looks more like the aircraft that 'inspired' the Fieseler team when designing the Storch, the Polish RWD 9, winner of the 1934 Challenge de Tourisme International . The German's openly measured and documented the  RWD 9 and made no secret of their intent to duplicate the aircraft for the 1936 Challenge. The German designs in the 1934 competition were low-wing aircraft. They went so far as to ask the designers to move to Germany and set up a light aircraft factory, on the Reich's dime.

The RWD 9 was powered by the Polish Skoda works 260-280 hp geared GR.760 9-cylinder radial:

The engine was 93.4cm(36.8 inches) in diameter and had great development potential that was never realized due to governmental disinterest.
Several foreign companies asked about license production and they were ignored.

The RWD 9 was developed from the 1932 Challenge winner the RWD 6, which also led to the RWD 13 light tourer of 1935.

RWD 6

RWD 13, the RWD 13S version was a purpose built ambulance aircraft.

The Kokusai Ki 76 was not a license built Storch, the design was begun ten months before an example of the Fi 156 was received by the Japanese.
Among the many differences was the use of Fowler flaps on the Ki 76. The Japanese Army used the Ki 76 off of the Army carrier Akitsu Maru for anti-submarine patrols from late 1943.

The autogyro variant is not out of the question as the Fw 186 fuselage was based on the  Fw 56 'Stosser' fuselage, and one DFS 230 glider was converted as an autogyro glider. One detail point though, you'd want to leave the horizontal tail in its original position or even slightly lower, the raised location per your profile is a potential troublemaker.

Jon

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Did somebody mention putting it on floats.... well why not ??

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Arc3371

So no chance of a low wing light COIN...

jcf

QuoteSo no chance of a low wing light COIN...
For that you'd be better off with one of Fieseler's earlier designs:

Fi 97, one of the aircraft that lost to the RWD 9 at the 1934 Challenge.

Jon

Chap

Thank you for the correction and the information Jon, I was unaware of the Fi-97, a lovely plane.
Quotea low wing light COIN...

~Steve

ysi_maniac

Yes I like it.
And the same treatement on Wilga? :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

How about Post-War Irish Air Corps, in overall emerald green with dayglo orange cowl.... used for spotting/tranquing Leprachauns from the air during the mass Blarney Innoculations of the late 1940's.....

.....I'll get me coat (again)

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)