G

Initial Concepts

Started by Geoff_B, November 10, 2003, 02:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe C-P

QuoteBTW Joe i sold an Aurora Guadalcanal a month or two ago on ebay - sorry.

Cheers
Geoff
S'OK. No good Harriers or helos in that scale anyway.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Geoff_B

QuoteS'OK. No good Harriers or helos in that scale anyway.

Well the Pitroad ones are a bit overscale so some of them are fine (Sea kings), and hopefully Peter Hall will get his Atlantic models 1/600 Airgroups going, soon

Cheers

Geoff B B)  

Aircav

Just been looking at the WEM range of 1/700th aircraft and I think I can spend £50 on them alone :o  ;)  :P  B)  Cool, this going to be fun, Fun, Fun, Fun, the wonderful thing about tiger's is that tiger's are wonderful things  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Joe C-P

I think I've decided to go with the Japanese supercarrier. I'm going to try to find a Testors or Italeri USS America or Kitty Hawk and load it up with a late 1970s airgroup from the Skywave "West Wings" sets. I thought about a 2005 version, but I prefer the look of the old mixed airgroup over a deckload of just F/A-18s and H-60s.

Where can I find a useful list of plane models by scale? I'm thinking maybe to also do a set of the aircraft, but I don't want a really big display, just 1/144 or 1/100 at most. I'm looking for: F-4, A-4, A-7, E-2, S-2, SH-3.

Onward and if-ward!
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

retro_seventies

Geoff,

Here's something about the Dragon Tarawa....?

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships...awa/tarawa.html

and the Revell Wasp - looks like this has harriers/ospreys...

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships...-wasp/wasp.html

this quote (about the revell wasp) says some important stuff, possibly...

"The kit comes on 5 sprues molded in light grey styrene and is only waterline.  The casting is very well done, very little flash and crisp details.  The details are not in the same league as the Japanese manufacturers, but not bad.  Definitely on par with the DML Tarawa and better than the old Revell 1/720 Tarawa.  The island details match fairly well with published pictures. "

hope it helps...

ben  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Geoff_B

Hi Geoff P

The revell Wasp is the newer type  LHA and the dragon/Italeri Tarwaw class are the earlier LHD. The best kit is probably th later versions by Dragon/Italeri as they have Harriers and RAM missile launchers. The Revell WASPO also has thes but they have been noted as being a bit on the Small side. The V-22 in the Revell kit are also really under scale so WEM replacements are a must. Avoid the Mini-Hobbies or Wasan version as this is a bad motorised copy of the Dragon kit (however i have got the hull checked for doing the new Spanish LHD when i get chance).

Cheers

GeoffB

Now this is what you really want !!!!

Joe C-P

QuoteJoe,
Try Hobby Link Japan.   www.hlj.com/  
Click on "Naval Accessories".

Does anyone know what the Revell Tarawa class models are like?  One has AV-8B's and V-22's in it. :huh:
HLJ, duh! Of course!  :blink:

The Revell Tarawa/Saipan LHA is soft and blurry, with limited detail. The DML/Dragon one and its Italeri copy is much better, finer and more detail.

The Revell Wasp LHD is much better. Not Tamiya/Skywave detailed, but more than adequate, and if you feel like really detailing it up there are photo-etch detail sets. But replace the Harriers and Ospreys with WEM versions; they're better and more in scale.

JoeP

lancer

You know, with all the ideas that have been thrown into the hat over this new group build, I have a problem  in that I have no real idea of what to do that would'nt be plagarising someone else here. apart from my BAe 146 ideas, I'm as dry as a desert river bed in the ideas dept. It's MOST frustrating. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Captain Canada

I've got a dumb one...

is the USS Ticonderoga an Arliegh Burke class ?

Sprue Bros. had them on sale at 12 bucks, and it's 350 scale ! Also, the new Iowa is 26......

Mmmm....more ships !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Geoff_B

Quoteis the USS Ticonderoga an Arliegh Burke class

Nope its a Ticonderoga class, which was basically a Spruance class destroyer hull with a revised superstructure for the Aegis Radar system and LR SAM.

The arleight burkes are an improved design of Aegis destroyers now replacing the spruances.

As to kits the Dragon one is OK, but some of the chinese copies which are cheaper are more motorised toy versions.

Not sure on your Iowa, in 1/350 i would expect it to be dearer but i expect it might be the Revell one.

Thor B)

retro_seventies

Hey Lancer,

don't worry about it chap - its not like any two models are going to wind up looking the same anyway...besides, its not as though any of us (i know i'm speaking for a lot of people here, but i know for sure that i wouldn't be upset if you used one of my ideas - and if you had an idea that i did, but didn'r realise it, i wouldn't call it plagerism, i'd call it great minds thinking alike!) would be offended or anything silly like that.

BTW, i for one would like to see the Bae 146 ideas when they are done - i've always been keen on one as a freighter, a "mini c-17" if you will, but the aew and maritime versions are jolly appealing...

don't sweat it dude, just build....

ben    :tornado:  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

retro_seventies

a possible "sea-lizard" cammo scheme for my multirole sea viggens....

Nick

QuoteBTW, i for one would like to see the Bae 146 ideas when they are done - i've always been keen on one as a freighter, a "mini c-17" if you will, but the aew and maritime versions are jolly appealing...
The Revell BAe-146-100 1/144 scale kit has a refuelling probe included which sits above the cockpit but as cargo firms wouldn't use it I don't see why it was included.

A quick Google shows that there's two different boxarts, one for an orange TNT Express/Australian Airlines and another for the STA Transporter (this definitely includes the probe). I think both sets include the probe, can anyone confirm?

Nick B)  

nev

retro, thats a neat scheme, but how are you gunna paint it???  :o  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Captain Canada

Quotea possible "sea-lizard" cammo scheme for my multirole sea viggens....
Doc, I see a dragon chasing a fair maiden through the Balck Forest.......

Oh, I thought that was one of those ink-blot tests !

Har-har-har........

My local shop has two types of BAe 146s, Airfix and Revell, and I want to buy them both !

Never thought of their COD potential, tho......
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?