F-14c Strikecat

Started by coops213, November 03, 2007, 06:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coops213

I've neglected this project for some time, so today I decided to do some more work on it. Finally got round to putting on more paint.

Masking and preshading:

On with the brown:

I decided to do the camouflage freehand. Mainly because I couldn't be bothered cutting out masks. I decided to base the scheme on that of an F-111 as someone here suggested. On with the light green:

Dark green:

And the masks come off:

Now I have to find some decals for this. I'm leaning towards markings from this http://aaahobby.com/images/SSD095.JPG sheet.

Chris

Brian da Basher

That's a really cool looking camo scheme Chris!

Brian da Basher

John Howling Mouse

This certainly has come to life with the camo paint.  Good job!   :wub:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

AeroplaneDriver

Well that turned out very nicely.   :wub:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Ed S

I like it.  I agree that those marking should look good on that camo.  Have you considered hanging an ecm pod on it.  An old ALQ-87 or ALQ-101 that were used in SEA?

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Rafael

That camo scheme sits just awesome on that 'cat!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

And the bomber/strike fighter impersonation is superb. Those MERs and TERs really give this awesome little jewel a most menacing look. I can't wait to see her armed and decaled.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

coops213

Quote from: Ed S on February 23, 2008, 08:44:17 AM
I like it.  I agree that those marking should look good on that camo.  Have you considered hanging an ecm pod on it.  An old ALQ-87 or ALQ-101 that were used in SEA?

Ed

I like the idea of giving it some king of ECM capability. I don't think either of the pods you mentioned are available in this scale. Are they similar enough to the ALQ-119 in this scale? Or maybe I could just scratch build them.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Chris

ysi_maniac

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on February 23, 2008, 07:12:32 AM
This certainly has come to life with the camo paint.  Good job!   :wub:
Yeah, that SEA camo,  :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

K5054NZ

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

The camouflage suits the aircraft very well. In particular I like the shades of green you used. The light grey is also very nice.

*tries very hard not to get carried away with compliments and pure, unadulterated awe*

cthulhu77

very nice, I wish this craft was actually real !  :wub:

coops213

Well I think painting's just about finished for now on this one. Just have to wait for those decals to arrive before I decide what to do next. I want to add some colour to the tail fins and the fins underneath the engines but I'm not sure how to go about this yet.

Anyway, here's where I'm at now. Painted the anti-glare patch and "pencil" nose. I also removed the masks to check out how the canopy came up. Not bad I think.

Added the sidewinder rails and painted some of the top colour onto the shoulder pylons

Engines nozzles, shrouds, and inflating bags painted

And here's the nose gear. It's modified from the Revell F/A-18 nose gear, with the launch bar and the scissor area removed. I replaced this with a bit of rod and added a single wheel from the dragon super hornet nose gear. The front of the gear is to the left.

Can't wait for the decals to arrive!

Chris

Eddie M.

I'm very impressed with your work and how good it looks up close using this scale. It looks like it can get a bit tedious. Looking forward to roll out. :mellow:
   Eddie
Look behind you!

BlackOps

Very striking (no pun intended  :lol:) paintjob. I think you've got a winner here.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Captain Canada

What a beauty ! My kid is building one in a similar scheme....only it's in 48th scale.

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

coops213

I built the rocket pods yesterday. After doing a little web research, I tried to make them like the LAU-61 19 rocket pods. I made them out of cut up sprue of the appropriate diameter. To simulate the rocket tubes I drew up some dot patters in photoshop and printed them onto decal paper.

It was a bit tricky to get the decals aligned on the front and back of the tubes but I think I pulled it off. Here's a picture of the tubes temporarily attached to port shoulder pylon of my Strikecat.

I'm not sure how I feel about them. Maybe more snakeyes on the shoulder pylons would look better. Can stores be mixed on TERs? I'd like to know what you guys think.

Chris