F6F Hellcat WHIF Ideas

Started by GTX, November 10, 2007, 01:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTX

Hi folks,

Anyone got some Hellcat whiff ideas?  We've seen a bubble top variant or two (see below) as well as a Japanese version, but what about something else - a floatplane perhaps or even a liquid cooled in-line variant?  Other ideas?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

AeroplaneDriver

I've got a lovely Hase 1/48 Hellcat that is earmarked to become a USAAF D-Day machine.  No major structural changes, just a paint & decal whif with the decals from a Hase P-47.  

The backstory involves Nazi commandos landing on Long Island via U-Boat in 1943, and sucessfully sabotaging the Republic Aircraft factory at Farmingdale.  With the P-47 production line shut down for a period, Grumman pick up the slack and provide Hellcats to the USAAF, which play a vital role in supporting Allied troops in the invasion of Europe.

However....while contemplating this build and comparing the Hase Hellcat and P-47, I noticed that a wing-swap would not be all that dificult...

I also have a nice little Revell 1/72 Hellcat that I'm thinking of painting in modern USN colors.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

elmayerle

Hmm, I'm not sure you'd want a floatplane version, the testing of the Wildcatfish indicated a definite loss of performance as I remember.  Still, I'd reckon that how successful it'd be would depend on the design of the float installation; properly done, you could integrate it into the existing airframe with comparatively little additional modification (though I suspect I'd do a general structural beef-up, where necessary, to withstand the extra shock loads of water landings).

As for liquid-cooled engines, I'd look at an IV2220 as 'bout the only option, though a FAA Hellcat with a Fairey P24, as the engine was discussed in other threads, sounds plausible.

I'd probably suggest upgrading to a R3350, for a comparatively minor CG shift with a decided power increase, and a four-bladed or five-bladed prop (Hmm, perhaps that FAA one again, this time with a Centaurus?).  I think if you tried to mount a R4360, you'd likely need to extend the fuselage aft for weight and balance considerations.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

GTX

I like the idea of a Hellcat floatplane with a similar float arrangement to the Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu or Nakajima A6M2-N - i.e. single central float and tip floats.

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Playing with the inline idea:

The first would be a trial bird, whilst the second is closer to the production variant.

Regards,

Greg

GTX

and playing with the floatplane idea - not happy with this one just yet:

Regards,

Greg

Daryl J.

The Hellcat is something I've been trying to fit into the Mercenaries of Marrakesch scenario as there is a F3F-1, F3f-2, F4F-4 already from Grumman.     If I can find a way to reasonably get Hellcats ( a few...not a whole squadron) into N. Africa, there might have to be an overall sand colored Eduard 'cat.

Whiffing a Hellcat is downright sexy.
Daryl J.

Daryl J.

Greg, if I may:
I like the concept very much. How 'bout:
Float 50% bigger and have the strut hook in just aft the leading edge of the main wing.....it's just a thought.......

Daryl J.

GTX

Quote from: Daryl J. on May 03, 2008, 03:26:56 PM
Greg, if I may:
Float 50% bigger and have the strut hook in just aft the leading edge of the main wing.....it's just a thought.......

Daryl J.

Thanks Daryl - how's this for a little better (I was working on this when you posted):

Regards,

Greg

jcf

Quote from: GTX on May 03, 2008, 03:49:10 PM
Quote from: Daryl J. on May 03, 2008, 03:26:56 PM
Greg, if I may:

Daryl J.

Thanks Daryl - how's this for a little better (I was working on this when you posted):

Regards,

Greg

The float is still way too small, and in the wrong place.

Take a look at the N1K Kyofu or Cutiss SC-1 for an idea of proportions and placement.

The Hellcat float would be even larger in comparison to fuselage that that of the N1K... empty the Hellcat weighed 4,128kg, 1,397kg more than the Japanese fighter weighed loaded. The float dimensions are based on the weight of the aircraft, its a displacement issue.

BTW an F6F-3 floatplane design was worked on, the plan was to fit two 29 foot long floats built by EDO.

Jon

GTX

Hellcat Trainer conversion anyone?

Regards,

Greg

sequoiaranger

Though I have not done it YET, I have toyed with the idea of combining the lower part of a J2F Duck and the Hellcat for a seaplane fighter-bomber--both Grumman products. The idea is that this combo was PRE-Hellcat, aboard the seaplane carrier Langley in the Philippines at the outbreak of WW II, and some one had the wild idea to de-float the Gander as a stop-gap fighter to replace the Wildcat until the Bearcat came along. I have the "early Bearcat" up on the IPMS "What-if" SIG website, but the "Gander" is only "on the drawing board" at this point.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

ysi_maniac

A prototype was proposed for swept wings tests:
fuselage section introduced between engine and cockpit
tricycle u/c
swept wings

Anyone?
Will die without understanding this world.

famvburg

There was an R-4360 powered version proposed, IIRC, maybe the F6F-8? Maybe the nose would look simialr to the XP-72.

Hawkeye

Quote from: sequoiaranger on May 12, 2008, 11:59:29 PM
Though I have not done it YET, I have toyed with the idea of combining the lower part of a J2F Duck and the Hellcat for a seaplane fighter-bomber--both Grumman products. The idea is that this combo was PRE-Hellcat, aboard the seaplane carrier Langley in the Philippines at the outbreak of WW II, and some one had the wild idea to de-float the Gander as a stop-gap fighter to replace the Wildcat until the Bearcat came along. I have the "early Bearcat" up on the IPMS "What-if" SIG website, but the "Gander" is only "on the drawing board" at this point.

Twin floats would probably have been the preferred option. High performance aircraft and a single centerline float never seemed to work as well. For some reason they added float/fuselage combination created undesired hydro/aero dynamic effects and weight/balance issues. Given the fact also you'd probably want it to be an amphibian, narrow landing gear setup of a center float design really suck on rough fields or crosswind landings. Designed right an amphib could recover onboard a carrier for servicing. Now that would make a great WHIF!
Gerald Voigt
http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com
Its not the workbench that makes the model, it is the modeler at the workbench.