Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

Quote from: ysi_maniac on May 13, 2008, 06:03:39 AM
A prototype was proposed for swept wings tests:
fuselage section introduced between engine and cockpit
tricycle u/c
swept wings

Anyone?
The swept-wing test aircraft was originally proposed as a modification of the F4F Wildcat, Grumman switched efforts to a purpose built aircraft.

Proposed Hellcat developments:
Design 54 - laminar flow wings; calculations showed little gain in performance.

Design 59/60 - R-4360, -59 with single-stage blower, -60 with two-stage blower; considered impractical because of massive level of necessary modifications.

Design 61 - mixed power Hellcat, retained R-2800 and added a GE I-20 turbojet in the rear fuselage; calculated performance gains were insufficient to warrant construction.

Design 69 - single-seat fighter-bomber variant to be powered by 2,100 hp R-2800-22 engine.

Jon

Hawkeye

That looks like an F-86 wing.
Gerald Voigt
http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com
Its not the workbench that makes the model, it is the modeler at the workbench.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

B777LR

Twin  :wacko:cat should be rather easy to build. They are already made with an outer wing that can be removed :ph34r:

Then there is the obvious, a turbo hellcat for Vietnam. (instead of Skyraider)

sequoiaranger

>Designed right an amphib could recover onboard a carrier for servicing. Now that would make a great WHIF!<

HAWKEYE,  the J2F WAS USED aboard aircraft carriers (Yorktown Class) during the war. I think it was catapulted off on wheels, then landed in the water alongside and was hoisted aboard. To make such an amphibian stressed to make carrier deck landings seems unrealistic (oops, I guess I shouldn't use that word on a forum like this!! ;-)

>Twin floats would probably have been the preferred option. High performance aircraft and a single centerline float never seemed to work as well. For some reason they added float/fuselage combination created undesired hydro/aero dynamic effects and weight/balance issues. Given the fact also you'd probably want it to be an amphibian, narrow landing gear setup of a center float design really suck on rough fields or crosswind landings.<

The "Gander" as proposed by me was NOT a particularly high-performance aircraft, but an aircraft similar to an upgraded J2F. I am not trying to make a floatplane fighter out of the Hellcat, but "show its origins" as a floatplane recon/rescue plane that had potential as a fighter that was capitalized upon. Perhaps you are forgetting, too, that the Japanese had many center-float, relatively high-performance aircraft (Zero floatplane, "Norm", and "Rex"). My "Gander-to-Hellcat" is kinda based on the idea of the "Rex"--the Japanese floatplane fighter that became the magnificent "George" naval fighter (on wheels).
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Hawkeye

I with you on your concept. :thumbsup: Just remember that the Japanese aircraft lacked self sealing tanks and armor protection. Therefore they were lighter and a single centerline float worked. Add in all of the additional weight US aircraft had and you see the need for twin floats. Four people can ride in a two person canoe, but at what cost?

Gerald Voigt
http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com
Its not the workbench that makes the model, it is the modeler at the workbench.

sequoiaranger

>Add in all of the additional weight US aircraft had and you see the need for twin floats. <

Maybe, but the "Gander" wouldn't have a slender single float like, say, the Zero float-fighter, but rather an entire-fuselage-wide flotation surface (again, like the J2F Duck) and the little outrigger floats, too. The Duck was a pretty heavy aircraft itself (empty weight--5600 lbs), comparable to a fighter (a little heavier than a Wildcat), so it isn't too far-fetched.

jcf

Quote from: sequoiaranger on May 14, 2008, 07:43:44 AM
The "Gander" as proposed by me was NOT a particularly high-performance aircraft, but an aircraft similar to an upgraded J2F. I am not trying to make a floatplane fighter out of the Hellcat, but "show its origins" as a floatplane recon/rescue plane that had potential as a fighter that was capitalized upon. Perhaps you are forgetting, too, that the Japanese had many center-float, relatively high-performance aircraft (Zero floatplane, "Norm", and "Rex"). My "Gander-to-Hellcat" is kinda based on the idea of the "Rex"--the Japanese floatplane fighter that became the magnificent "George" naval fighter (on wheels).

So are you talking along the lines of the Columbia XJL-1?

Grumman Model G-42 development started in 1939 as J2F replacement, further development and production assigned to Columbia Aircraft because of Grumman wartime production pressures. Two prototypes built, however they were not completed until 1946.

Second aircraft is preserved at Pima.

1200hp Wright R-1820
Span: 50' 0"
Length: 45' 11"

Jon

sequoiaranger

>So are you talking along the lines of the Columbia XJL-1?<

Yup!

Only Hellcat-looking!

**Good find!**

Jeffry Fontaine

The Duck and Hellcat kitbash sounds like a plan.  My first impression of the Columbia was that it looks like it could have been the match up of an Avenger with the Duck.  Interesting aircraft either way.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Daryl J.

Wow!   Duck meets Avenger meets Dauntless.   I'd never seen the Columbia before.

Daryl J.

GTX

Sabrecat anyone?

Note:  Practicality played absolutely no part in this!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

sequoiaranger

Jeez, it looks like a metal version of the "Shrimping" character of the movie "Forrest Gump!"

Daryl J.

Extended wing version for high altitude recon. work.    Perhaps about 3 feet per wing added as to not over stress the wing fold.

Daryl J.

Tophe

[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]