Supermarine Spartan

Started by kitbasher, November 12, 2007, 04:29:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

I've always wondered what a twin-Spit could look like.  As I would have thought the only possible application of a Twin Spitfire would be in the Whirlwind role (and the Supermarine Type 313 was designed to the same Specification), it seemed to me that following the dimensions and proportions of the Whirlwind would be appropriate.  
What I'd tried to do with this was to use as many Spit bits from the spares box as possible - fuselage and wings come from scrap Spits.  The only non-Spitfire parts are the Bf 110-sourced rear engine nacelles and undercarriage, plus Mosquito exhaust shrouds).  
I started off with twin fins/rudders like the original Westland P.9 design (Bf 110 taliplane, Spit tailplanes modified to look like fins), but it simply did not look right!  So, off with tailplane V0.1 and to the definitive tailplane V1.0 (ancient Pegasus Spitfire 22/24 fin and rudder, plus modified wing tips from the same source)!  Comparing the two side by side I think the single fin and rudder arrangement works best
To stay with the Whirlwind theme, the latter's camouflage pattern will be followed, national markings of the size applicable to the Spit will applied and Airfix Whirlwind squadron codes and the aircraft serial will be used.

:D  :D  
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

gooberliberation

A twin...spitfire...

Twitfire? :lol:

Seriously though, it looks really fast as heck! :wub:

Are you going to submit it to the piston perfection gb?
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

ysi_maniac

Absolutely perfect by the time being :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  
Will die without understanding this world.

kitbasher

QuoteA twin...spitfire...

Twitfire? :lol:

Seriously though, it looks really fast as heck! :wub:

Are you going to submit it to the piston perfection gb?
I'd like to but to be honest it was started off a few months ago, so no.  2 other items on the go for the GB, however!
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Captain Canada

Sweet ! I agree with you on the tail config....looks much nicer this way. Kinda like a mini-Beaufighter !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Brian da Basher

That looks absolutely killer, kitbasher! I'm going to enjoy seeing this one come together.

It seems we've got a couple of "twin-Spits" in the works. This is fun!

Brian da Basher

kitbasher

Undercoating done, wheels to paint, canopy to fix, topcoating, decals, sealing, weathering to follow.

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

cthulhu77

seavixen

Stackridge: Rhubarb Thrashers of the World Unite

lancer

If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Daryl J.

kitbasher

Painting almost done, decalling under way, prop to add...almost done!

kitbasher

Painting done, decalling almost there.....

kitnut617

This has a certain appeal to it which is growing and growing on me, it certainly looks convincing.  Being a tad picky here but maybe the rear fuselage needed to be a bit longer.

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike