Fiat G91 ''Gina''

Started by Mike Wren, November 17, 2004, 06:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

Quote from: ysi_maniac on March 26, 2022, 04:18:33 AM
Is it possible to conceive a turbo jet that works as such but a part of its power is derived to a shaft that moves a propeler? Or a turboprop whose exhaust thrust is relevant (more than marginal)?

Generally, yes.

However, you need to accept that you're not going to be able to get the same power as from a dedicated jet engine if you're drawing power from the turbines to run the turbo-prop.

I don't know what the power loss would be but it will be significant.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

Some of today's ultra large turbofans ARE turboprops with a hefty jet exhaust really.

It's just that the 'prop' has a LOT of blades and it's enclosed in a duct.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Roberto139

Quote from: ysi_maniac on March 26, 2022, 04:18:33 AM
MustanGina
:wub: :wub: :thumbsup:

Propulsion is not decided yet.

Is it possible to conceive a turbo jet that works as such but a part of its power is derived to a shaft that moves a propeler? Or a turboprop whose exhaust thrust is relevant (more than marginal)?

Lovely What-if, perhaps with a counter rotating propset similar to the wyvern, removing the 30mm chin cannons and adding them to the wings would be astounding!

Roberto139

Upon further inspection I pitted a 1/72 Mustang against a G-91R from Meng, surprise surprise, they are about the same length, so  the G-91 would not require shortening, but perhaps just moving the cockpit a bit back to allow for the turboshaft transmission.
I'll get to work on one.
It's going to be a nice pair with my F4U-6TP/F3G-2TP Turboprop Corsair kit.

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 26, 2022, 10:54:25 AM
Some of today's ultra large turbofans ARE turboprops with a hefty jet exhaust really.

It's just that the 'prop' has a LOT of blades and it's enclosed in a duct.

They're on a continuum really: some of the largest turbofans have geared fans now. What it really boils down to is that you keep making the fan diameter bigger and bigger until the duct costs you more in weight than you gain from it in propulsive efficiency, at which point you leave it off and call the engine a turboprop (or a propfan).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Flyer

Quote from: Roberto139 on March 27, 2022, 10:13:01 AM
Upon further inspection I pitted a 1/72 Mustang against a G-91R from Meng, surprise surprise, they are about the same length, so  the G-91 would not require shortening, but perhaps just moving the cockpit a bit back to allow for the turboshaft transmission.
I'll get to work on one.
It's going to be a nice pair with my F4U-6TP/F3G-2TP Turboprop Corsair kit.

Look forward to seeing that  :mellow: :thumbsup:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

ysi_maniac

Fiat G.91 structure is inspired by F-86 but Gina's nose is IMO just perfect

Will die without understanding this world.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ysi_maniac

Gina with Skyhawk vertical and horizontal planes

ysi_maniac

Dizzyfugu

Looks nice, but unfortunately it's not "to scale", so that hardware versions would not work.  :-\

ysi_maniac

ysi_maniac

Fiat G.91Y equipped with AGAVE radar