A

Il-28 Whiffs

Started by Archangel, November 12, 2007, 05:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archangel

How about an IL-28 beagle with modifactions to do ASW. Take out the tail gun add hard points to the wings and stash torpedos or depth charges to the bomb bay. Add larger tip tanks for longer range and widen the body a bit for sonobouys.

Daryl J.

Or----->

Put short, pointed ogival covers over the jet intakes, tremendously long ogival covers over the jet exhaust, cut off all tail empennage, add the tail shape of a barn swallow, paint the whole thing a light gunmetal save for the propulsion side of the engines; they glow purple-blue and.....presto.....a new ship for the Committee from Naboo!   :wub:

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Daryl J.

Maverick

Il-28s, more specifically Il-28Ts were used by the AV-MF (Soviet Naval Aviation) in an ASV role.  Altho not patrol aircraft as such, they carried torpedoes and if I recall correctly were capable of deploying depth charges.

Regards,

Mav

frank2056

How about an IL-28 with turboprops? The sonobuoys, torpedos and mines would  go under the wings, with extra fuel tanks in the former bomb bay.

A MAD probe where the tail gunner sits and either an aft station for the EW dude, or cram him in the nose with the pilot and bombardier.

Frank

BadersBusCompany

Posted this on my thread a couple months ago and it was christened Il-28N 'Bowfin'.
Note the enlarged lower fuselage to house internal weapons.
Is this similar to your thinking?  

Daryl J.

BBC!!!   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  to you sir!

Daryl J.

Archangel

QuotePosted this on my thread a couple months ago and it was christened Il-28N 'Bowfin'.
Note the enlarged lower fuselage to house internal weapons.
Is this similar to your thinking?  

Other then the tail section it comes close. I should have said to add the MAD boom in the tail as well.

gooberliberation

I'll be watching this thread. I've got a "Chinese Bomb-5" sitting around unbuilt.
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Shasper

I have to say getting rid of the fighter canopy does give the Beagle a more menacing aire . . .

The other day I was looking at my Tamiya Beagle kit when it hit me, why not a COIN version ala Counter-Invader? Enlarged tiptanks, removal of the tail turret, added underwing pylons & maybe an extra pair of forward firing 23, 30 or 37mm cannons scabbed on? Now I just gotta figure out if I want to do a solid nose or leave the gazing there!
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Weaver

Well I have two Il-28s and an old Revell Skywarrior in the stash, the idea being to mate the wings and engines of the latter to the fuselage of one of the former to make a JMN-confusing addition to the roster of real "swept-Beagle" prototypes.... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Quote from: Shasper on October 31, 2009, 10:34:19 AM
I have to say getting rid of the fighter canopy does give the Beagle a more menacing aire . . .

The other day I was looking at my Tamiya Beagle kit when it hit me, why not a COIN version ala Counter-Invader? Enlarged tiptanks, removal of the tail turret, added underwing pylons & maybe an extra pair of forward firing 23, 30 or 37mm cannons scabbed on? Now I just gotta figure out if I want to do a solid nose or leave the gazing there!

Interestingly the Soviets when they were involved in Afghanistan found that the IL28 was an excellent COIN aircraft.  The reason?  The rear guns allowed the gunner to keep the insurgents' heads down after the aircraft had passed.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Arc3371

Speaking of COIN Il-28, an old profile

Cobra

Think an Il-28 would make a Good Air Sea Rescue Plane?????? thought it might with the Way it was Built!!!!! Sorry if i'm sounding like a Nutter. Stay Cool!!!! :ph34r: :cheers:

GTX

How about a Il-28 with dirty big turbo-props instead of turbojets?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

Wow - that's my other Il-28 kit committed to COIN: solid nose full of guns like a Vautour A.  :wub:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones