A

Il-28 Whiffs

Started by Archangel, November 12, 2007, 05:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

"cough"; Il-28 as a straffer for the Fatherland build.

Army of One

Oh.....counter Invader...maybe counter Spad as well...?? Fast low level strike against firebases.....mmmm I'm liking the idea of the counter COIN a/c.....not sure if my modelling skills will stretch to converting to turbo props though. Could prob do a solid nose with a gun pack mind.....mmm something to think about. Looked on interweb n it looks like the updated Trumpeter kit of the old Bilek kit is the best bet....trying to secure one or two now...any one any views on the kit??...gotta wait til tomorrow but found a couple for just over £5 ea so seem like reasonable value....
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

GTX

Quote from: GTX on October 31, 2009, 11:59:30 PM
How about a Il-28 with dirty big turbo-props instead of turbojets?

Like this:

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ChernayaAkula

^ That looks entirely believable! :thumbsup: I'd venture to say that 95% of people wouldn't spot this as a whiff in a collection of Soviet aircraft.

Note to self: Get another of those cheapo Trumpeter H-5s/Il-28s.

EDIT: Might look good with swept wings as on the Tupolev "Bears".  :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

Quote from: GTX on October 31, 2009, 11:59:30 PM
How about a Il-28 with dirty big turbo-props instead of turbojets?

Nice one (and thanks for reminding me of it on the Stash thread)!

Any thoughts on a source for the prop blades? I don't have many transport-type kits and the contra-prop fighter-size things I've got all have conical spinners rather than tubular ones. It almost looks like a scaled-up Astazou!

If I couldn't find two contra-props, one thing that occured to me was to only turboprop one engine and have it as a test-ship with cameras in the nose, tail and wingtip pod. It would be the Soviet's first turoprop installation, kind of like the Trent Meteor.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on November 06, 2009, 04:38:29 PM

EDIT: Might look good with swept wings as on the Tupolev "Bears".  :wacko:
Then you'd have an Il 30 with turbo-props.  ;D

ChernayaAkula

^ Didn't know about that one! :o But you're entirely right. It would look a lot like this.  ;D
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

Cheers Jon!  :thumbsup:

I have it in mind to fit the swept wings and engines from a Revell FTB Skywarrior to a 1/72nd IL-28 to create something in between an Il-28S, an Il-30 and an Il-54. Since the wing has a folding facility, I might navalise it, although that would require the Skywarrior's u/c too.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on December 04, 2009, 10:53:09 PM
Then you'd have an Il 30 with turbo-props.  ;D

Looks just like a big Vautour, dunnit?  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

redstar72

Despite being created by a competitor firm, the Tupolev Tu-82 (called "Butcher" by NATO, and would-be-called Tu-22 if would come into production) looked even more like swept-wing Il-28. Furthermore, it was closer to Il-28 by size, while Il-30 was considerably bigger.

Best regards,
Soviet Aviation enthusiast

GTX

How about a carrier based Il-28K with folding wings etc - kind of like a A-3 Skywarrior counterpart.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ChernayaAkula

^ YEAH! I think your profile with the turboprops would fit in nicely as a carrier-borne medium bomber or ASW, maybe even AEW version.
Cheers,
Moritz

Weaver

Quote from: GTX on December 07, 2009, 12:26:41 AM
How about a carrier based Il-28K with folding wings etc - kind of like a A-3 Skywarrior counterpart.

Regards,

Greg

That's one of the options I'm considering for my Skywarrior/Beagle hybrid, since the donor kit has wing-fold built into it.

- Indiana Jones

ysi_maniac

Regional liner based on Il-28 Beagle.

Will die without understanding this world.

Dizzyfugu

An Il-28/An-26 kitbash could work well? This would even be possible in hardware form with the Tamiya Beagle and a VEB Plasticart An-26 in 1:100.  ;)

Some Il-28s were actually de-militarized and used under the handle "Il-20" by Aeroflot for (fast) postal duties, AFAIK mainly newspapers: