Blinder Interceptor

Started by McGreig, November 13, 2007, 02:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGreig

For years Western books and magazines reported that the Tu-28 Fiddler was being replaced by an interceptor version of the Tu-22 Blinder. Sadly, the reports were based either on Soviet misinformation or poor Western intelligence and the Blinder interceptor never existed in reality.

I built this a few years ago to see what a Tu-22 interceptor might have looked like, using the missiles and pylons from the MiG-25. Like a lot of other models, it got damaged over the years and a lot of the undercarriage went missing, but I restored it for Telford using parts cannibalised from another Tu-22 (which is destined to be a supersonic flying boat at some time in the future).

This is the Tu-22 at Telford

McGreig

This is a pre-Telford shot, just after it had been restored (replacement of missing undercarriage and aerials and a complete repaint). OK,  so it's overall grey but I defy anyone to dismiss the Blinder as just more boring grey! And it's so much easier to do than natural metal - - -  

McGreig

A final post restoration shot

AeroplaneDriver

Soviet stuff has never been my cup or tea, but that really is a beautiful machine.  I may have to think again about the Italeri Tu-22 my LHS has for 50% off...

Nice restoration!
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Maverick

I've always loved the Blinder, looked like it was going mach 2 just sitting on the ground.

Sweet build McG, gotta gets me a couple o' them

Mav

cthulhu77

very elegant looking bird, wonderful job.  I happen to love those T craft!

dy031101

Unlike Maverick I dislike Tu-22 (not the M development), but I can't dislike this one.  This is indeed elegant.
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

gooberliberation

That's just sooo.... right! I especially like how you broke up the gray with white panels.

Looks like I gotta make an backfire interceptor.

Tu-22M3P Fackfire? :P  
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

The Rat

Gorgeous bit o' work there!  :wub:

Quote...another Tu-22 (which is destined to be a supersonic flying boat at some time in the future).

Now you've really got my attention!  :cheers:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

GTX

QuoteLooks like I gotta make an backfire interceptor.

Tu-22M3P Fackfire?

Already planned - maybe it could go as the replacement to this?  The story I've developed is that after losing out to Mikoyan with their MiG-31, Tupolev takes the Tu-22M3 design and develops an ultra-interceptor with modified Zalson-M radar (with even larger antenna array + more processing power - therefore more targeting ability); weapons bay able to be packed with Vympel R-33 and or Vympel R-37 AAMs (160km & 300km range respectively) as well as external pylons with the same; crew of 4 still - but now comprising Pilot, Co-pilot/Electronic Warfare systems operator, 2 x Weapon system operators.  for selecting targets/firing missiles.  

The resulting Tu-22MP or Tu-23 (odd numbered designator since fighter/interceptor) would be nick named дрожь ('Quiver' in Russian on account of its large quantity of 'arrows' - the R33 being referred to as Arrow in Russian service.  Potential Nato code names – Fearful, Fearless, Fashback, Fender, , Farfetch, Farflung, Fearsome, or Feline.  The role would be to take out large numbers of bombers/cruise missiles trying to attack.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

lancer

Oh my,....what a beautiful looking machine. I've always been impressed by the Blinder, and this example is superb.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Mike Wren

ysi_maniac

QuoteI've always loved the Blinder, looked like it was going mach 2 just sitting on the ground.
I absolutely agree, and this model is just RIGHT!
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

Supertom

This has got to be one of the biggest Whiffs ever posted on this site.  Very nice.
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

retro_seventies

Stunning work sir - marvellous!  :wub:  :wub:  
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.