Two On The Go, Pics To Follow

Started by kitbasher, November 16, 2007, 05:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Aah, Mr Wooksta, I've been expecting you...
QuoteActually, given that it's mainly a cut and shut, I'd avoid an aluminium finish, mainly because silver paint amplifies any errors. 
Mmm...good point and one I really should have remembered after my 'Spatfire'.
QuoteHow about the later Hornet scheme of Dark Sea Grey/Dark Green with PRU Blue underneath? 
This is the 'Intruder scheme' referred to in my earlier post.  
Nice idea about the war lasting beyond 1945, but if that had been the case the Hornet would have been a principle component of 'Tiger Force', as it was designed mainly with long range ops against Japan in mind.  I guess that means back either to either the WW2 Day Fighter Scheme of Ocean Grey/Dark Green/Medium Sea Grey with SEAC markings (or just stick with the original idea of adapting the kit markings in a European scenario), or the Temperate Land Scheme (Dark Earth/Dark Green/Medium Sea Grey), again SEAC'ed.
At least the post-war Aluminium scheme was worn by both Hornets and Meteors.
More food for thought, but at this stage I wasn't contemplating any timeline changes. :D  :D

PS thanks for the parts offer, I actually have both on an aged Meteor III conversion to a PR.10 that's going to be 'replaced' at some point in the future.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

QuoteWow - didn't know about the swept wing P-63, and had forgotten about the 'Learstang'.  Interesing comparisons - why was the swept wing P-63 built?  research?   :D  :D
I've actually got a couple of resin kits of it in 1/72 made by Czech Master Resin.  These have at the root leading edge some radiator inlets which are square to the fuselage, but I got the second kit so I could do the full swept win version like in the picture here.  I had thought the wing was an exact representation of the F-86' wing (not sure now, need to find my references) and like Evan says, was to research low speed handling.  I think they picked the P-63 because of the tricycle u/c

kitbasher

Blimey what have I started??
QuoteYou've killed off Whittle, the Germans can't copy the patent designs (as they arguably did with Goddard's work) so no jet engines and thus no jets.
I was always under the impression that von Ohain in Germany was working on jet designs at the same time as Whittle but neither knew a great deal about the other's work.  Also British work went down the centrifugal jet route while the germans favoured co-axial engines.  And there were a few others I seem to recall working on jet propulsion in the 30s.
QuoteEven had the Mercury been built, it's likely that the Air Staff would have requested the Hornet anyway given the success of the Mosquito.
How dare you, sir ;) !  The Mercury was a superb aircraft, especially the F4 with Griffons!!
Can't wait to see the Mossie NF12 with the offset canopy - are you doing that for this GB, Wooksta, or at your own pace?  Will it have 3 or 4-bladed props, and what colour scheme do you have planned for it?  Years ago I attempted a crappy tandem seat Mossie that ended up in the bin.  Tempted to have another go at some point, with the Airfx NF.XIX as the basis.
:D  :D
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitnut617

QuoteAlso British work went down the centrifugal jet route while the germans favoured co-axial engines.
Not quite true, the third Meteor to fly (actually called a Rampage at the time) was a Metro-Vick F2 axial flow powered version which in it's third generation of development was the Sapphire, it first flew about a year before the first German jets were seen. It was twice as big as any German jet engine was and also twice as powerful.

My model of this F.9/40 Rampage:

jcf

QuoteBlimey what have I started??
QuoteYou've killed off Whittle, the Germans can't copy the patent designs (as they arguably did with Goddard's work) so no jet engines and thus no jets.
I was always under the impression that von Ohain in Germany was working on jet designs at the same time as Whittle but neither knew a great deal about the other's work.  Also British work went down the centrifugal jet route while the germans favoured co-axial engines.  And there were a few others I seem to recall working on jet propulsion in the 30s.
Pabst von Ohain started working on his concepts in 1935 while in university. His designs also used a centrifugal compressor. The Germans were aware of Whittle, however, von Ohain's concepts were sufficiently different enough from Whittle's that he was awarded some patents. The first Heinkel and Heinkel-Hirth designs that grew out of von Ohain's work also used a centrifugal compressor layout.

The RAE started working on axial compressor concepts in the late '30s, Metropolitan-Vickers became involved with the RAE in 1937. The work resulted in the Metro-Vick F.2 axial turbojet, fligt testing of the engine began on 29 June 1942 with an engine mounted in the tail of a Lancaster. The engine was also used in Meteor prototype DG204/G beginning 13 November 1943.

BTW Whittle's 1930 patent shows an axial compressor.

Jon

kitnut617

I've also read in Air-Britain that they are actually re-considering who actually flew the first true jet powered aircraft first, and it wasn't British or German, they are looking at an Italian design.

jcf

QuoteI've also read in Air-Britain that they are actually re-considering who actually flew the first true jet powered aircraft first, and it wasn't British or German, they are looking at an Italian design.
Any more details?

Jon

kitnut617

QuoteI've also read in Air-Britain that they are actually re-considering who actually flew the first true jet powered aircraft first, and it wasn't British or German, they are looking at an Italian design.
Any more details?

Jon
I'll have to find where I packed all my Air-Britain stuff Jon, it's still all in the container with my other stuff where I packed it just before our house move.  I've not unloaded it because we're still looking for someplace to buy.

Robert

kitbasher

Hey guys, thanks for the additional background.  Was the Italian effort a true tourbojet or one of those 'Coanda effect' arrangements?
Fascinating stuff! :D  :D  

kitnut617

From what I can remember yes it was a true turbojet, not the ducted fan jobbie that is more well known.  I've put some enquiries out over on the Air-Britain forum but no responses yet.  I'm sure that's where I read all about it  :unsure:

kitbasher

The 'Mercury' is just about ready to paint - and at the moment I'm going to stick with my original idea of the WW2 RAF Day fighter Scheme (Ocean Grey/Dark Green uppers, Medium Sea Grey underside).
;D ;D

Daryl J.

elmayerle

Damn, that's a nice bit of work on the Mercury.  My compliments.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

McGreig

Wow - that Mercury's turning out really well. ;D Impressive work (you'll just have to imagine the thumbs up and bowing smileys)