Two On The Go, Pics To Follow

Started by kitbasher, November 16, 2007, 05:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 06, 2008, 02:56:40 PM
Looking good, although I'd drill out the gunports.

I'm increasingly tempted to have a go at that myself, although I may use the Frog Meteor as a basis instead due to the different wingroot design.

Thanks for the generous comments, y'all.  In answer to The Wooksta I actually have drilled out the gunports, but a combination of the quality of the photo and the undercoat filling the holes a little will mean I'll have to clean them out at some point!  I'd wondered about using a Frog Meteor 4 when I pounced on the Hornet (what a goat of a kit!!) at SMW specifically for this whiff - nearly got a cheap one at the kitswap at Telford but after I went back they'd gone.  Certainly using the Frog Meteor could conjour a 'Mercury F4' with squared off wingtips and I'd love to see your take on it in time.  Also using the Frog markings for a true post-war version would be cool.   
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on January 08, 2008, 09:15:02 AM
Hoo!  That Frog Hornet kit isn't really that bad.  Okay, accuracy wise the tail fin/fillet is far too thick whilst the nose is all to cock and the canopy is cack, but with a little effort and some bits of plastic strip it turns into a nice little model.  See the article from Scale Aircraft Modelling from some years back on turning it into an Hornet F1.

Yes I've got the SAM article you refer too, Mr Wooksta, however I've also got a contemporary review of the kit (from Aircraft Illustrated) when it first came out that really does savage it to pieces!  Once I got the donor Hornet kit (£2!) home from Telford I compared it to an unmade Skybirds 86 F1 I've had stashed away for longer than i care to remember and there's really no comparison!! Mind you, the SAM article is what the hobby is really about - often making something out of nothing rather than shake 'n' bake perfection.
;D ;D
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Chap

Beautiful work Kitbasher! Just love the Mercury.

~Steve

Brian da Basher

That's one really sleek looking bird kitbasher! I'm really looking forward to seeing it with paint on.

Brian da Basher

Captain Canada

Ya, what a great idea ! She sure does turn into a sleek looking fighter......looking forward to the paint !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

kitbasher

.....meanwhile I've been progressing with the Sweptfire, with just some touching up, decalling and finishing off to do.  Thank heavens for the extension!
With a bit of luck this will be done by the original deadline, the Mercury to follow, and a third one by the revised deadline.  Now I need to think about back stories..... ;D ;D

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitbasher

Sweptfire's done!
Here's some shots, with a couple more plus the backstory to appear in the 'Completed Entries' bit soon.
Stuck to the original 1947/Japan scheme in the end.  The model is made entirely out of recycled kit parts (sources: Kopro Spitfire VII; Italeri Spitfire IXc; Ventura Spitfire FR.18; CMK Spitfire F.22/24; Matchbox Alpha Jet) from the either the spares or scrap box, so it must have a low carbon footprint!  Sadly the contra-prop idea was ditched as the Aeroclub item's diameter was way in excess of that of the Ventura Griffon nose.
Enjoy.  ;D ;D

kitnut617

Where's the 'jaw drop' smiley, That's brilliant, I'm stumped for more words !!! :wub:

Brian da Basher

That's absolutely fantastic! I applaud your imagination and skill at putting this beauty together!

Brian da Basher

kitnut617

I think we need a 'dribble' smiley

Glenn Gilbertson

That looks so cool it should wear shades!

kitnut617

Quote from: Overkiller on January 24, 2008, 03:23:33 AM
OUTSTANDING!!!!!
I just love the look of that Sweptfire  :wub: :wub: :wub:

Now I just know I'm gonna have to add a Sweptang to my "to do" list.

Just a thought, and not to detract from the build at all, but I seem to recall that the swept wing P-39 Bell used to gather data whilst developing the X-2 needed to have it's rear fuselage extended to compensate for the change in the relationship between centre of lift and centre of gravity brought about by switching to a swept wing.

cheers

Duncan

Have a look back on page one of this thread, Duncan.  But here's another:

kitbasher

Thanks for the photos, Kitnut617 (by the way love your 'Rampage' model - was it ever finished or is it still a WIP?).  I take Overkiller's point about stretching the fuselage, and if I'd bought kits just to make the Sweptfire (rather than simply use items from the scrap/spares box) I think I'd have done rather more to create the beast, such as the fuselage stretch you suggest.
Anyway, I've made a bit more progress with the Mercury, and hopefully will have it done by the deadline.....
;D ;D

kitnut617

Quote from: kitbasher on January 28, 2008, 02:20:54 AM
Thanks for the photos, Kitnut617 (by the way love your 'Rampage' model - was it ever finished or is it still a WIP?).  ;D ;D

It's WIP unfortunately, it's packed away in a box and buried in the storage container at the moment.  Moving sucks, especially when you can't find a nice little acreage that you've always wanted.

And I love your Mercury BTW, way cool!  :ph34r:  I've got it on my list of wanting to do, if that's OK with you that is?  It's one of those that 'just looks right' projects