Newfie Waterbomber Hits The Bench!

Started by The Rat, November 18, 2007, 05:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Revell's reissued Convair Tradewind gets the whiff treatment, but I'm wondering if it should maybe get a new moniker. Perhaps Canadair rebuilt it from the ground (water?) up, and applied a different sobriquet. Not important, just a thought.

Anyhow, here's the 'psr' stage in all its glory, the decals which will be applied are behind in the second pic:

Gotta scrounge around now for the proper paint colours, knowing full well that the orange will probably look different in every picture depending on the light.  :lol:

I've seen another on the shelf at a store north of here, might pick it up and apply the U.N markings that I originally intended for this one.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Jetfixer

God thats an arse Ugly Aeroplane. I likes it!!!. the Waterbomber colours should suit it. nice one.

Greg
i'm not here, i'm a figment of someones imagination

The Rat

QuoteGod thats an arse Ugly Aeroplane.
Got that right. The earlier incarnation was much better, but they made it ugly to have the nose open up:

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Captain Canada

It's not ugly....it's beautiful ! And will be even more so when you get her done up in those NF colours !

:wub:

I agree with the name change, Rat. Something Canadian for sure !

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

gooberliberation

New name eh? The blunt nose does make it look a bit like a Moose...
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

The Rat

QuoteNew name eh? The blunt nose does make it look a bit like a Moose...
Had the same thought, but I just can't see it as an official designation. Would be the obvious crew nickname though.

lancer

If you're gonna call it a moose, you need some aerials sticking out of the nose for the antler fit.  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Brian da Basher

That's a killer concept you've got there Rat-San! It's going to look sweet in those colors!

Personally, I'd call it the Newfie, but the Howling Moose or the Baz might be worth considering...

Brian da Basher

kitbasher

If Avro Canada made it, it could be called the 'Andeauver'?
:D  :D  
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

nev

QuoteIf you're gonna call it a moose, you need some aerials sticking out of the nose for the antler fit.
DING-DING!  We have a winner.  Give that man a prize.  :thumbsup:  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

cthulhu77

Neat. Can't offer much in the way of Canuck names, unfortunately. Dig the idea of large antenna or even smething like those pickup do-hickies they put on the C-130's.

The Rat

Got ambitious last night and opened up the intakes on the front of the engines. I have yet to see a detailed shot of the things so I'm just presuming that had an opening rather than the flat face the model has. They were first drilled, then roughly carved with a good old #11, filed with a half-round, and then liquid glue was painted into them to smooth out the roughness:

The Rat

First test coat of the orange, went on pretty good but it will need more. Looks very rough at this stage but considering the major disaster it went through I'm just glad it's still being worked on:

The disaster was so big that the model you're looking at isn't even the same one as in the first post -yes, it was that big. The construction was going well, and it was time to spray a first coat of primer. Mistake. I don't know what went wrong, but it will need to be stripped and until the weather warms up and the windows can be opened it's staying in the cupboard. I used a Krylon white primer, and for some reason it went on like it was plaster, the surface is as rough as a scouring pad. Okay, whip another out of the stash (I have 4), and start all over. The ruined one will probably be the one that becomes the V.A.P. (Very Ambitious Project). Namely, an air-to-air refueller gassing up four Grumman Cougars. And believe it or not that one will not be a whiff:

John Howling Mouse

Wow, what a cool build you've got coming along here!  Looking forward to more.

:)  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

Looking good, Rat ! That thing is gonna be sweet !

:wub:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?